Mark 14:37 καθεύδεις ... ἴσχυσατε

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Mark 14:37 καθεύδεις ... ἴσχυσατε

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Reading the Patriarchal Edition today, I was surprised by this:
Mark 14:37 (PE) wrote:καὶ λέγει τῷ Πέτρῳ· Σίμων, καθεύδεις; οὐκ ἴσχυσατε μίαν ὥραν γρηγορῆσαι;
I was expecting this, which I find in the SBL edition:
Mark 14:37 (SBL) wrote:καὶ λέγει τῷ Πέτρῳ· Σίμων, καθεύδεις; οὐκ ἴσχυσας μίαν ὥραν γρηγορῆσαι;
Can someone help me make sense of the καθεύδεις / ἴσχυσατε reading? I would expect both clauses to be addressed to the same person, why would he switch from singular to plural as in the PE reading?

I assume that the plurals in 38 signal a switch from addressing Peter only to addressing James and John also:
Mark 14:38-39 wrote:γρηγορεῖτε καὶ προσεύχεσθε, ἵνα μὴ [av] ἔλθητε εἰς πειρασμόν· τὸ μὲν πνεῦμα πρόθυμον ἡ δὲ σὰρξ ἀσθενής. καὶ πάλιν ἀπελθὼν προσηύξατο τὸν αὐτὸν λόγον εἰπών.
But why would that switch occur within verse 37?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Re: Mark 14:37 καθεύδεις ... ἴσχυσατε

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Jonathan Robie wrote:But why would that switch occur within verse 37?
It could be a harmonization to the local context. That happens all the time in the transmission of the text.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “New Testament”