Mark 14:60 καταμαρτυροῦσιν - past-referring present?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
RandallButh

Re: Mark 14:60 καταμαρτυροῦσιν - past-referring present?

Post by RandallButh »

How does a Future tense work in such a comment since the DC is the time of writing
you already answered this yourself. The DC is the speaker quoting Jesus in the past, who was referring to the future.
Perfectly normal.
Alan Patterson

Post by Alan Patterson »

Mark 14:60 καὶ ἀναστὰς ὁ ἀρχιερεὺς εἰς μέσον ἐπηρώτησεν τὸν Ἰησοῦν λέγων · οὐκ ἀποκρίνῃ οὐδὲν τί οὗτοί σου καταμαρτυροῦσιν;

Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Have you no answer? What is it that they testify against you?” (NRSV)
No past-referring Present Tense here in some people's model.

What does the High Priest ask Jesus? Mark quotes the High Priest, "Have you no answer? What is it that they testify against you?" (These are the very words that the High Priest asked.)

I would say such the usage of the Present here is common usage.

Hope this helps to clarify my model of ET and RT.
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Hi Alan, if I understand you correctly (and I'm not sure I do), I'm asking about καταμαρτυροῦσιν, not λέγων.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Alan Patterson

Post by Alan Patterson »

Hi Alan, if I understand you correctly (and I'm not sure I do), I'm asking about καταμαρτυροῦσιν, not λέγων.

Stephen, yes, καταμαρτυροῦσιν is what I was responding to. λέγων would equal quotation marks.
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson

Return to “New Testament”