Hebrews 9:24 ἐμφανισθῆναι

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Hebrews 9:24 ἐμφανισθῆναι

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stephen Carlson wrote:Hi Michael, you already asked about this back in November, and I merged your query with the older thread.
And, surprisingly :o ...

The answer hasn't changed. Michael, please review what has already been said. In addition, from BDAG:

③ to convey a formal report about a judicial matter, present evidence, bring charges τινί τι (X., Mem. 4, 3, 4; Diod S 14, 11, 2; Esth 2:22; Jos., Ant. 4, 43) GPt 11:43. ἐ. τινὶ κατά τινος bring formal charges against someone (Jos., Ant. 10, 166) Ac 24:1; 25:2; ἐ. περί τινος concerning someone 25:15 (cp. PHib 72, 4 [III B.C.]; PSI 400, 2; 2 Macc 3:7; En 22:12; Jos., Ant. 14, 226).—DELG s.v. φαίνω B. M-M. TW.

Note the syntax of the statement, τινί τι. That means the accusative of the charge (i.e., what the person is being charged with will be in the accusative) and the dative of the person to whom the charge is brought. It appears to have this meaning only in the active, but if it did appear in the passive, it would have to have the thing charged as the subject of verb. in 9:24...

οὐ γὰρ εἰς χειροποίητα εἰσῆλθεν ἅγια Χριστός, ἀντίτυπα τῶν ἀληθινῶν, ἀλλʼ εἰς αὐτὸν τὸν οὐρανόν, νῦν ἐμφανισθῆναι τῷ προσώπῳ τοῦ θεοῦ ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν·

But we see that Christ is actually the subject of infinitive, and he is certainly not the judicial charge made before the Father. Since the meaning "appear, be made manifest" is the common meaning in the passive, and since it fits the context perfectly, that's what it has to be.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Michael Abernathy

Re: Hebrews 9:24 ἐμφανισθῆναι

Post by Michael Abernathy »

Thanks for your patience. When I first asked the question I was making some notes on Hebrews. I forgot to include your answer in the notes and in a supreme senior moment I also forgot I had asked the question before. I have made the proper corrections in my notes and hopefully future senility won't cause me to ask again.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy

Return to “New Testament”