2 Timothy 3:6,7

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Scott Lawson

2 Timothy 3:6,7

Post by Scott Lawson »

6 ἑκ τούτων γάρ ἑισιν οἰ ἐνδύνοντες εἰς τὰς οἱκίας καὶ αἱχμαλωτίζοντες γυναικάρια σεσωρευμένα ἁμαρτίαις, ἁγόμενα ἑπιθυμίαις ποικίλιαις, 7 πάντοτε μανθάνοντα καὶ μηδέποτε εἱς ἑπίγνωσιν ἁληθείᾳ ἑλθειν δυνάμενα. (My apologies...I couldn't get the circumflex over the iota in ἑλθειν for some reason)

γυναικάριον, ου τό is diminutive of γυνή with derogatory connotation, but it is neuter...does this open up its meaning to include men acting as foolish little women? The participles connected with it are also all neuter:

σεσωρευμένα
ἁγόμενα
μανθάνοντα
δυνάμενα

BTW, I've often heard the πάντοτε μανθάνοντα applied to οἰ ἐνδύνοντες εἰς τὰς οἱκίας but this hardly seems possible the way it is constructed in Greek.
Scott Lawson
Stephen Carlson

Re: 2 Timothy 3:6,7

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Scott Lawson wrote:γυναικάριον, ου τό is diminutive of γυνή with derogatory connotation, but it is neuter...does this open up its meaning to include men acting as foolish little women? The participles connected with it are also all neuter:
You'd have to check the usage, but there's nothing in the mere fact that this derivational ending is obligatorially neuter in form that would lead one to that idea.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Thanks Stephen! I'm not wedded to the idea just surprised that it is neuter more than anything.
Scott Lawson
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Is there a way to make nouns diminutive with masculine and feminine endings?
Scott Lawson
Tony Pope

Post by Tony Pope »

Scott Lawson wrote:Is there a way to make nouns diminutive with masculine and feminine endings?
Yes, like παιδίσκη, but neuter diminutives are surely the commonest. Smyth has examples of diminutives, §852 and following.

This article in JBL on diminutives in the NT may perhaps also be interesting. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3264595
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Thank you Tony!
Scott Lawson
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Tony,

Smyth at §197 (b) points out that diminutives are exceptions to the rule of natural gender. Thanks for pointing me to Smyth!
Scott Lawson
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Scott Lawson wrote:Tony,

Smyth at §197 (b) points out that diminutives are exceptions to the rule of natural gender. Thanks for pointing me to Smyth!
Same in German also
die Frau, das Fräulein
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Shirley Rollinson wrote:Same in German also
die Frau, das Fräulein
Thanks Shirley!

BTW, I read your bio a couple years ago and then I wrote you a flirtatious PM but...chickened out in sending it. You could well be a character from my favorite author Robert A. Heinlien...which reminds me... I should tell you that I'm a semi-solipsist...not sure if I created the universe or you did..ooops!! I see that I've sprouted a third eye...I guess I must have offended you! ;)
Scott Lawson

Return to “New Testament”