Romans 1:10

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
ronsnider1

Romans 1:10

Post by ronsnider1 »

I wonder if this has not been addressed elsewhere, but had trouble searching the archives to find a particular verse. The final infinitive in verse 10 elthein must relate to the verb euodwqhsomai, but I am at a loss as to how to categorize it.

Any help is appreciated.

Ron Snider
Ron Snider
Pastor-teacher,
Makarios Bible Church of Sarasota
cwconrad

Re: Romans 1:10

Post by cwconrad »

ronsnider1 wrote:I wonder if this has not been addressed elsewhere, but had trouble searching the archives to find a particular verse. The final infinitive in verse 10 elthein must relate to the verb euodwqhsomai, but I am at a loss as to how to categorize it.
Forum rules clearly posted above call for citation of the text in question.
πάντοτε ἐπὶ τῶν προσευχῶν μου δεόμενος εἴ πως ἤδη ποτὲ εὐοδωθήσομαι ἐν τῷ θελήματι τοῦ θεοῦ ἐλθεῖν πρὸς ὑμᾶς
Yes, the infinitive ἐλθεῖν must depend upon εὐοδωθήσομαι. In the GNT this verb εὐοδοῦσθαι is evidently a middle verb with the senee of "succeed" ("have good going"). I'd call the construction of the infinitive here complementary: "succeed at coming" = "see one's way clear to come."
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “New Testament”