Trivia: In what year NT canon?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stephen Hughes

Trivia: In what year NT canon?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

In what year was the NT canon universally accepted by a Council?

When was the earliest mention of the NT canon as it now stands?

Supplementary question:
Which apocalypse is mentioned in the Muratorian fragment as being fit to read in church, but is now not accepted?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Re: Trivia: In what year NT canon?

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:In what year was the NT canon universally accepted by a Council?

Supplementary question:
Which apocalypse is mentioned in the Muratorian fragment as being fit to read in church, but is now not accepted?
I think these questions are interesting, but I suspect that they exceed the proper scope of a forum focused on the Greek language and the Greek text of the Bible. Isn't this more a matter of canonical or ecclesiastical history and of a doctrine concerning scripture?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

That is not a problem. You can delete this thread. I've re-phrased the question in terms of other popular literature besides the canon, rather than about the canon itslef. The content is more or less the same.

My thinking was that the canon is a given here on B-Greek and is axiomatic to our discussions - so these questions were about the box, not outside the box. But as you have rightly inferred, to do anything other than accept an axiom as axiomatic requires looking at it from another theoretical foundation. In this case the disciplines that you have mentioned.

It is a little like the motto over the entrance to Plato's Academy - Μηδεὶς ἀγεωμέτρητος εἰσίτω [μοι τὴν θύρα] (loosely) "We are here to discuss geometry" (not to discuss why or whether we should discuss it).
ed krentz

Post by ed krentz »

cwconrad wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:In what year was the NT canon universally accepted by a Council?

Supplementary question:
I think these questions are interesting, but I suspect that they exceed the proper scope of a forum focused on the Greek language and the Greek text of the Bible. Isn't this more a matter of canonical or ecclesiastical history and of a doctrine concerning scripture?
I support Carl Conrad on this. All of these trivia questions gather useless facts that do not aid in interpreting the text or advancing linguistic knowledge. I suggest that the monitors end this useless band width loading.

Ed Krentz
Edgar Krentz
Prof. Emeritus of NT
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ed krentz wrote:I support Carl Conrad on this.
I believe Carl Conrad was referring to just this particular thread, not to all of them. I don't see that he is against all trivia questons, because he has personally responed to a number of the questions. I agree that this question is borderline and have suggested it could be deleted.
ed krentz wrote:All of these trivia questions gather useless facts that do not aid in interpreting the text or advancing linguistic knowledge
I have replied to your concerns in another thread that will still be available if this one is deleted.

Return to “New Testament”