πλάνη active or passive sense.

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
cwconrad

Re: πλάνη active or passive sense.

Post by cwconrad »

Andrew Chapman wrote:
cwconrad wrote:Certainly the verb is a denominative based upon the noun ἡ πλάνη.
I had read BDAG as saying that πλάνη was derived from πλανάω. Have they got it the wrong way around?
My understanding of BDAG's parenthetical citation of πλανᾶσυαι was indicating etymological cognate, not derivation. I think it is the case that the contract verbs in -οῦν and -ᾶν are denominatives from -ο- stem and -α- stem nominals.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

cwconrad wrote:My understanding of BDAG's parenthetical citation .. was indicating etymological cognate, not derivation.
Thanks very much, Carl, I have to admit that I was only really guessing that the citation indicated derivation. I will check what BDAG's front matter says next time I am in the library.

Andrew
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Moulton and Milligan:
In the NT πλανή is generally, if not always, used in the pass. sense of "error": cf Armitage Robinson ad Eph 4:14
Armitage Robinson on Ephesians 4 v 14:
In all the passages where it occurs in the New Testament, πλάνη will bear the passive meaning, 'error', though the active meaning 'deceit', would sometimes be equally appropriate.
So I think there is support for the active/passive terminology. Perhaps one needs both this and Stephen's process/result. I guess 'error' could be seen as the result of having been led astray (passive). Deceit may be process and active, it seems to me.

Andrew

Return to “New Testament”