Acts 13:22 [ανδρα] κατα την καρδιαν μου

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stephen Hughes

Mutual misperceptions

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:No, we really thought you were being funny...
and I really thought you were being super-kind and helpful, but as it turns out, I am not as humorous as you thought, and ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Alan Patterson

Re: Acts 13:22 [ανδρα] κατα την καρδιαν μου

Post by Alan Patterson »

Barry wrote:
So in other words, it means to be wholeheartedly devoted to God
But this is GOD's heart Luke is talking about, not David's. David is a man 'after God's heart.' So, it seems very difficult for this to mean devoted to God. I am sure I have misunderstood your answer here.
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Mutual misperceptions

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
and I really thought you were being super-kind and helpful, but as it turns out, I am not as humorous as you thought, and ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I was only being kind and helpful, not super-. But of course, if everyone were super, no one would be. :roll:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Alan Patterson wrote:Barry wrote:
So in other words, it means to be wholeheartedly devoted to God
But this is GOD's heart Luke is talking about, not David's. David is a man 'after God's heart.' So, it seems very difficult for this to mean devoted to God. I am sure I have misunderstood your answer here.
Well, then, what do you think it means? Yes, it's God's heart, but it describes David as being a man after God's heart, following God. How can it mean otherwise than being devoted to God?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:
Sorry, I was only being kind and helpful, not super-. But of course, if everyone were super, no one would be. :roll:
I've been thinking about the riskiness of reading the tone of others' relatively casual posts. It's often difficult to read the tone and sense of speech uttered in a face-to-face context. I think some of the difficulty we have in reading Galatians and Philippians -- and the Corinthian letters -- derives from the very same risky factors of exchanges in our forum here. The emoticons are helpful, but I note that it is far too easy to give offense or to give the appearance of being a buffoon. I sometimes hesitate before clicking "submit" for fear of not having yet adequately proofread what I've typed out. It's a truism, I guess, that communication is always something of a risky business.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

cwconrad wrote:It's often difficult to read the tone and sense of speech uttered in a face-to-face context. I think some of the difficulty we have in reading Galatians and Philippians -- and the Corinthian letters -- derives from the very same risky factors of exchanges in our forum here. The emoticons are helpful, but I note that it is far too easy to give offense or to give the appearance of being a buffoon.
That's one of the nice things about hearing the text read out loud, of course. But different people read different tone and sense into the same passage.

There's a market opportunity here, of course: The Tone and Sense Bible (Greek text with emoticons). For instance:

ὁδηγοὶ τυφλοί, οἱ διϋλίζοντες τὸν κώνωπα τὴν δὲ κάμηλον καταπίνοντες :shock: :oops: :lol:

Perhaps this will explain some of the "stray marks" that we see on some original manuscripts?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Peter Pankonin

Post by Peter Pankonin »

Jonathan Robie wrote: There's a market opportunity here, of course: The Tone and Sense Bible (Greek text with emoticons). For instance:

ὁδηγοὶ τυφλοί, οἱ διϋλίζοντες τὸν κώνωπα τὴν δὲ κάμηλον καταπίνοντες :shock: :oops: :lol:

Perhaps this will explain some of the "stray marks" that we see on some original manuscripts?
Jonathan...
Ha, it took me the longest time to figure out this straining a gnat and swallowing a camel bit until I realized that I wasn't seeing the emoticons. So to anyone reading these posts in feedly, though it's convenient, you're missing much of the "emotion" in this thread. Does anyone happen to know how to configure feedly to let these little images through? I can see other images in feedly, but not these emoticons.
--
Πέτρος Πανκώνιν
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:
It's not possible to say definitely that one thing it other is humorous or not. It's how it is taken.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Alan Patterson

Post by Alan Patterson »

Barry wrote:
Well, then, what do you think it means? Yes, it's God's heart, but it describes David as being a man after God's heart, following God. How can it mean otherwise than being devoted to God?
It is not DAVID's devotion to, but it is GOD's appreciation of.... At least, that's how it appears on the surface, imo.
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Alan Patterson wrote:Barry wrote:
It is not DAVID's devotion to, but it is GOD's appreciation of.... At least, that's how it appears on the surface, imo.
I don't see "appreciation" written in that phrase, but I see the same that Barry says. The phrase just means "a man who does things according to God's heart". That is pretty much the same as "a man devoted to God".
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “New Testament”