1 John 5:16 possible with aorist?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Re: 1 John 5:16 possible with aorist?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Hughes wrote:The verb βλέπειν seems similar. Present participle seems to be the rule and something like this relative clause:
Colossians 4:17 wrote:Καὶ εἴπατε Ἀρχίππῳ, Βλέπε τὴν διακονίαν ἣν παρέλαβες ἐν κυρίῳ, ἵνα αὐτὴν πληροῖς.
is in the aorist because the it was received all at once.

The other examples I could find are all with a present participle (I probably needn't quote them all here, but...):
I see some perfects too.

John 20:01 βλέπει τὸν λίθον ἠρμένον ἐκ τοῦ μνημείου.
Acts 04:14 τόν ἄνθρωπον βλέποντες σὺν αὐτοῖς ἑστῶτα τὸν τεθεραπευμένον
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Re: 1 John 5:16 possible with aorist?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote:I see some perfects too.

John 20:01 βλέπει τὸν λίθον ἠρμένον ἐκ τοῦ μνημείου.
Acts 04:14 τόν ἄνθρωπον βλέποντες σὺν αὐτοῖς ἑστῶτα τὸν τεθεραπευμένον
Yes, and:
Hebrews 2:9 Τὸν δὲ βραχύ τι παρ’ ἀγγέλους ἠλαττωμένον βλέπομεν Ἰησοῦν, διὰ τὸ πάθημα τοῦ θανάτου δόξῃ καὶ τιμῇ ἐστεφανωμένον, ὅπως χάριτι θεοῦ ὑπὲρ παντὸς γεύσηται θανάτου.

That more-or-less follows my original observation
Stephen Hughes wrote:ὁράω is used with a present participle (or a perfect expressing a currently perceivable ongoing state ... [perhaps] because in a verb of sensory perception needs to happen at the same time as the thing perceived does,
I'm toying with the idea that in terms of introducing aspect as a concept, examples of natural aspect (analogous to natural gender) may be a softer approach.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “New Testament”