Gal 4:14 καὶ τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν [τὸν] ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Gregory Hartzler-Miller

Gal 4:14 καὶ τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν [τὸν] ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου

Post by Gregory Hartzler-Miller »

In Codex Siniaticus, (available online in the link below) we see that an editor inserted τὸν after ὑμῶν in Galatians 4:14 -- καὶ τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν [τὸν] ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου

http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?=Submit

What does τὸν add here in terms of meaning and translation. Why would someone want to add it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Stephen Carlson

Re: καὶ τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν [τὸν] ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I offer one suggestion in my book, The Text of Galatians and Its History, WUNT II/385 (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2015), p.215. The addition of τον is also found in 1739–Ψ–Byz and C–P–1241S.
Carlson 2015:215 wrote:The agreement of 1739–Ψ–Byz with C–P–1241S against A might mean that the addition of the article occurred at an earlier stage and reversed in A, or it could mean that it was added twice independently. Without the article, the association of the prepositional phrase ἐν τὴν σαρκί μου is syntactically ambiguous. On the one hand, it could be construed with the preceding τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν with the meaning “and you did not disdain your trial in my flesh.” On the other hand, it could be construed with the following verb οὐκ ἐξουθενήσατε with the meaning “as for your trial, you did not disdain it with my flesh.” Both constructions of the phrase are difficult, but only the former is sensical. The addition of the article resolves this ambiguity in favor of the former possibility.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Gregory Hartzler-Miller wrote:In Codex Siniaticus, (available online in the link below) we see that an editor inserted τὸν after ὑμῶν in Galatians 4:14 -- καὶ τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν [τὸν] ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου

http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?=Submit

What does τὸν add here in terms of meaning and translation. Why would someone want to add it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Galatians 4:14 wrote:καὶ τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου οὐκ ἐξουθενήσατε οὐδὲ ἐξεπτύσατε, ἀλλὰ ὡς ἄγγελον θεοῦ ἐδέξασθέ με, ὡς Χριστὸν Ἰησοῦν.
On the face of it, the effect of inserting τὸν is to set forth the prepositional phrase - ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου - more clearly as an attributive modifying τὸν πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν. To my eye, at least, the inserted τὸν ‘advertises’ ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου as a tidy symmetrical 2nd position attributive – “your ‘in my flesh’ trial”.

I don’t see that there is a change in meaning, but the difficulty of “your trial in my flesh” may have something to do with the insertion. As Metzger (A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, 1994, pg 527) notes, the variants where πειρασμὸν ὑμῶν is replaced by πειρασμὸν μου, are likely tryng to cope with that strange phrase.

In that case, I would guess that the inserted τὸν would be seen to more clearly underline and affirm the unexpected ὑμῶν … μου statement. Or, perhaps setting off the phrase as an obvious 2nd position attributive made the unusual wording read more smoothly to the scribe.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Gregory Hartzler-Miller

Post by Gregory Hartzler-Miller »

Thank you so much! Your answers are state of the art -- and embarrassment of riches for me.

Return to “New Testament”