Ac.28:3 καθάπτειν

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stephen Hughes

Ac.28:3 καθάπτειν

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ἔχιδνα … καθῆψεν τῆς χειρὸς αὐτοῦ.
“A viper fastened onto his hand.”
When you imagine this scene, does the κατα- prompt you to think that the viper bit down, or does it imply to you that harm would result from the coming into contact? Do you take it as primary directional or intentional?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Re: Ac.28:3 καθάπτειν

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
ἔχιδνα … καθῆψεν τῆς χειρὸς αὐτοῦ.
“A viper fastened onto his hand.”
When you imagine this scene, does the κατα- prompt you to think that the viper bit down, or does it imply to you that harm would result from the coming into contact? Do you take it as primary directional or intentional?
Is there any evidence that καθάπτειν means more than "fasten", "lay hold of", "attack"? I'm not sure what would justify either of the implications you draw from the etymology.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Re: Ac.28:3 καθάπτειν

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I'm wondering how other people who have read this understand it. I'm not after proving my way of seeing it is correct.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “New Testament”