1 Cor 7:19 - "Circumcision" or "The Circumcision"?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
S Walch

1 Cor 7:19 - "Circumcision" or "The Circumcision"?

Post by S Walch »

ἡ περιτομὴ οὐδέν ἐστιν καὶ ἡ ἀκροβυστία οὐδέν ἐστιν, ἀλλὰ τήρησις ἐντολῶν θεοῦ.
H PERITOMH OUDEN ESTIN KAI H AKROBUSTIA OUDEN ESTIN, ALLA THRESIS ENTOLVN QEOU.

Looking at this verse today, I was wondering if there was anything in the Greek text that could help deduce whether this is, as what's been interpreted over the years as a reference to being circumcised or not being circumcised as a whole (as taken from the preceding verses), or whether this is a play on words with regards to ethnicity, with a possible meaning of "Being an ethnic Jew ('The Circumcision") is of no consequence and neither is being a Gentile ("The Uncircumcision") ; nevertheless what matters is whether you keep God's commandments (after you have been called)."

Is this a possible meaning of the Greek, or am I trying to grasp an extremely small straw?

Ste Walch
Barry Hofstetter

Re: 1 Cor 7:19 - "Circumcision" or "The Circumcision"?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

S Walch wrote:ἡ περιτομὴ οὐδέν ἐστιν καὶ ἡ ἀκροβυστία οὐδέν ἐστιν, ἀλλὰ τήρησις ἐντολῶν θεοῦ.
H PERITOMH OUDEN ESTIN KAI H AKROBUSTIA OUDEN ESTIN, ALLA THRESIS ENTOLVN QEOU.

Looking at this verse today, I was wondering if there was anything in the Greek text that could help deduce whether this is, as what's been interpreted over the years as a reference to being circumcised or not being circumcised as a whole (as taken from the preceding verses), or whether this is a play on words with regards to ethnicity, with a possible meaning of "Being an ethnic Jew ('The Circumcision") is of no consequence and neither is being a Gentile ("The Uncircumcision") ; nevertheless what matters is whether you keep God's commandments (after you have been called)."

Is this a possible meaning of the Greek, or am I trying to grasp an extremely small straw?

Ste Walch
Tiny, tiny straw... :roll:

Seriously, I don't see anything in the Greek per se that would lead to one interpretation or another. I think it's strictly context.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “New Testament”