1 John 2:6. Where does the comma go?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jacob Rhoden

1 John 2:6. Where does the comma go?

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

ὁ λέγων ἐν αὐτῷ μένειν ὀφείλει, καθὼς ἐκεῖνος περιεπάτησεν, καὶ αὐτὸς °οὕτως περιπατεῖν

This is copied from NA28. When I read/translated this, it came out different to the Bible's I checked with. It seems to me that they are translating as if ὀφείλει belongs after the comma. WBC commentary also appears to me to treat the Greek in the same way— ὀφείλει after the comma.

My Greek grammar/syntax is not yet that great, I wanted to ask:

1. Is my assessment of the situation correct?
2. Assuming this is correct, what creates room for the debate, is it around the question of if καθὼς is being placed before or after another word (postpositively? The grammatical term for this eludes my memory right now)
Robert Crowe

Re: 1 John 2:6. Where does the comma go?

Post by Robert Crowe »

καθὼς is correlative to the deictic adverb οὕτως which somewhat clumsily follows it, instead of preceding it. A more natural rendering would be as follows:

ὁ λέγων ἐν αὐτῷ μένειν ὀφείλει οὕτως, καθὼς ἐκεῖνος περιεπάτησεν, καὶ αὐτὸς [οὕτως] περιπατεῖν.
He who says that he abides in him should thus, as he walked, also himself walk.

This deictic adverb is often not explicit in Greek or English.
Tús maith leath na hoibre.

Return to “New Testament”