Split Constituent in John 2:11

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
MAubrey

Re: Split Constituent in John 2:11

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen Carlson wrote: April 10th, 2017, 11:58 pm
MAubrey wrote: April 10th, 2017, 11:53 pm
Jonathan Robie wrote: April 10th, 2017, 2:55 pmCan you say more about linguistic choice vs. authorial choice, and how you interpret Levinsohn's principle in that light?
There's a section from a book that I could pdf and share that lays out linguistic choice very nicely.
What's the cite for that? I don't think I've read anything that quite puts it so pithily as you do.
Jonathan Robie wrote: April 11th, 2017, 7:50 am I would appreciate that.
Robert Crowe wrote: April 12th, 2017, 4:42 pm Intriguing. Taking pause before listing it under sophistry. Thinking along the lines that language is a rigged system.
Here it is. This is a chunk of pages from chapter 5 of Carl Bache's (1997) The study of tense, aspect and action. I hope some of you find it useful.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jonathan Robie

Re: Split Constituent in John 2:11

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Hughes wrote: April 20th, 2017, 1:09 am How difficult is it to make concordance list this into one with verse-either-side or paragraph contexts? Looking them up one by one and finding the element mentioned is tedious.
Here's one way you could do that: use a text editor to make lists of verses like this:

Code: Select all

Luke 19:23; John 17:6; John 17:8
Now use a site like Biblegateway that allows you to specify more than one verse at the same time. Here is the format for the URL you need:

Code: Select all

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 19:23; John 17:6; John 17:8&version=SBLGNT
Or you can enter the list of verses into their text box and select SBLGNT, if you prefer. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss the results of that, or put it into your moieties thread.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “New Testament”