Split Constituent in John 2:11

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
MAubrey

Re: Split Constituent in John 2:11

Post by MAubrey » April 13th, 2017, 11:03 am

Stephen Carlson wrote:
April 10th, 2017, 11:58 pm
MAubrey wrote:
April 10th, 2017, 11:53 pm
Jonathan Robie wrote:
April 10th, 2017, 2:55 pm
Can you say more about linguistic choice vs. authorial choice, and how you interpret Levinsohn's principle in that light?
There's a section from a book that I could pdf and share that lays out linguistic choice very nicely.
What's the cite for that? I don't think I've read anything that quite puts it so pithily as you do.
Jonathan Robie wrote:
April 11th, 2017, 7:50 am
I would appreciate that.
Robert Crowe wrote:
April 12th, 2017, 4:42 pm
Intriguing. Taking pause before listing it under sophistry. Thinking along the lines that language is a rigged system.
Here it is. This is a chunk of pages from chapter 5 of Carl Bache's (1997) The study of tense, aspect and action. I hope some of you find it useful.
0 x

Mike Aubrey, Linguist
Koine-Greek.com

Jonathan Robie

Re: Split Constituent in John 2:11

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 20th, 2017, 6:16 am

Stephen Hughes wrote:
April 20th, 2017, 1:09 am
How difficult is it to make concordance list this into one with verse-either-side or paragraph contexts? Looking them up one by one and finding the element mentioned is tedious.
Here's one way you could do that: use a text editor to make lists of verses like this:

Code: Select all

Luke 19:23; John 17:6; John 17:8
Now use a site like Biblegateway that allows you to specify more than one verse at the same time. Here is the format for the URL you need:

Code: Select all

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 19:23; John 17:6; John 17:8&version=SBLGNT
Or you can enter the list of verses into their text box and select SBLGNT, if you prefer. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss the results of that, or put it into your moieties thread.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “New Testament”