παντας John 2:15

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
tmmoser

παντας John 2:15

Post by tmmoser »

καὶ εὗρεν ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ τοὺς πωλοῦντας βόας καὶ πρόβατα καὶ περιστερὰς καὶ τοὺς κερματιστὰς καθημένους, 15καὶ ποιήσας φραγέλλιον ἐκ σχοινίων πάντας ἐξέβαλεν ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ τά τε πρόβατα καὶ τοὺς βόας, καὶ τῶν κολλυβιστῶν ἐξέχεεν τὰ κέρματα καὶ τὰς τραπέζας ἀνέστρεψεν,
John 2:14-15

Do you think παντας is in apposition to τοὺς πωλοῦντας βόας καὶ πρόβατα καὶ περιστερὰς καὶ τοὺς κερματιστὰς or τά τε πρόβατα καὶ τοὺς βόας? I tend to think it is the latter considering a collective containing a masculine can be referred to as masculine, and παντας is removed from both collectives so its proximity isn't much help.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: παντας John 2:15

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Of the preceding, I think. John throws in the particle τε, which appears to have the force of adding in more objects here. The sense is "He kicked out all of them, and their animals too."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
tmmoser

Re: παντας John 2:15

Post by tmmoser »

That makes sense; I agree that Jesus kicked them all out so it is best to take παντας with those selling and the animals. How then do we decide who received the φραγελλιον? I lean towards it only being used on the harder to move animals, the oxen and the sheep since he addresses those selling pigeons further down a couple of 'sequence' points away from his initial driving out.

Return to “New Testament”