Mat.14:7 Dative to the left or just right

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stephen Hughes

Mat.14:7 Dative to the left or just right

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ὅθεν μεθ’ ὅρκου ὡμολόγησεν αὐτῇ δοῦναι ὃ ἐὰν αἰτήσηται.
Does anything in this sentence fragment indicate the dative can also be taken with ὁμολογεῖν?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Mat.14:7 Dative to the left or just right

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

The syntax of the ὅθεν clause in Matt.14:7 is discussed in p.78-80(pdf 98-100)[1]. This paper addresses word order in Matt. 14:7 and the dative indirect object on page 80 (pdf 100).

[1]A STUDY OF PURPOSE, RESULT, AND CAUSAL HYPOTAXIS IN EARLY INDOEUROPEAN GOSPEL VERSIONS
JOSEPH ALLEN PENNINGTON
ATHENS, GEORGIA 2010
https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/penningt ... 05_phd.pdf
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Hughes

Re: Mat.14:7 Dative to the left or just right

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Interesting enough, but in the context of a discussion on word order, Pennington doesn't explicitly state which verb the "intervening" indirect object goes with.

Either Herod made some grand statement to all around him, "By Jove, mark my words, I will give her what she asks for", OR he praised the girl with a promise to her in the presence of the others - in direct speech perhaps, "By Jove, your dancing was (so) good that I will give you whatever you supplicate from me (as benefactor)". In part that depends on the sense of ὁμολογεῖν.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “New Testament”