ὅτι in Luke 1.45

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Andrew Chapman

ὅτι in Luke 1.45

Post by Andrew Chapman »

καὶ μακαρία ἡ πιστεύσασα ὅτι ἔσται τελείωσις τοῖς λελαλημένοις αὐτῇ παρὰ κυρίου.

I read this as 'Blessed is she who believed that there will be a fulfilment of the things spoken to her by the Lord'

which seemed unfamiliar, and I found in my English bible (NKJV) that it has 'Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfilment' etc; whereas the NASB, for example, has it as I read it.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on which is to be preferred.

Andrew
Barry Hofstetter

Re: ὅτι in Luke 1.45

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

It depends on how you take ὅτι, whether it is marking indirect statement/explanation or whether it is marking causality. Personally, I think it's difficult to read it as causal after πιστεύσασα, since following the verb with indirect statement/explanation would be such a normal and expected reading.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I agree with Barry. I would naturally read it the way that it was first suggested - that the ὅτι phrase represents what she believed.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Thanks very much for the replies, which I have just found (has something changed with notifications? - I have just ticked or re-ticked some boxes in the User Control Panel, which hopefully will sort it out).

And am glad that you read the text the same way as I did.

Andrew

Return to “New Testament”