μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων in Rom. 2:15

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Wes Wood

μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων in Rom. 2:15

Post by Wes Wood »

Rom. 2:15 οἵτινες ἐνδείκνυνται τὸ ἔργον τοῦ νόμου γραπτὸν ἐν ταῖς καρδίαις αὐτῶν, συμμαρτυρούσης αὐτῶν τῆς συνειδήσεως καὶ μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων τῶν λογισμῶν κατηγορούντων ἢ καὶ ἀπολογουμένων,

What sense do you make of the underlined portion of this verse?
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Jedd Cole

Re: μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων in Rom. 2:15

Post by Jedd Cole »

I have tried taking μεταξυ ἀλληλων λογισμων to sorta evoke cross-examination? My loose rendering of the passage is something like "who demonstrate the law's action written on their hearts, their conscience lending voice and speaking either in accusation or in defense between accounts."
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Wes Wood wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 2:49 pm Rom. 2:15 οἵτινες ἐνδείκνυνται τὸ ἔργον τοῦ νόμου γραπτὸν ἐν ταῖς καρδίαις αὐτῶν, συμμαρτυρούσης αὐτῶν τῆς συνειδήσεως καὶ μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων τῶν λογισμῶν κατηγορούντων ἢ καὶ ἀπολογουμένων,

I suspect it means their conflicting thoughts either accuse them or excuse them - the internal debate of the person's own thoughts, which is an indication that the law is written on their hearts, leading to this internal debate. I am not sure whether to interpret this as the person's thoughts in everyday life or the person's thoughts at the judgment day.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Jonathan Robie wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 8:03 pm
Wes Wood wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 2:49 pm Rom. 2:15 οἵτινες ἐνδείκνυνται τὸ ἔργον τοῦ νόμου γραπτὸν ἐν ταῖς καρδίαις αὐτῶν, συμμαρτυρούσης αὐτῶν τῆς συνειδήσεως καὶ μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων τῶν λογισμῶν κατηγορούντων ἢ καὶ ἀπολογουμένων,

I suspect it means their conflicting thoughts either accuse them or excuse them - the internal debate of the person's own thoughts, which is an indication that the law is written on their hearts, leading to this internal debate. I am not sure whether to interpret this as the person's thoughts in everyday life or the person's thoughts at the judgment day.
I am not nearly as certain as you are. I can't see a clear grammatical reason to choose between the rendering you have suggested and one that has the phrase "μεταξὺ ἀλλήλων" referring to different individuals. It doesn't help that the context seems to work with either understanding.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Return to “New Testament”