1 Cor 3.5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Alan Patterson

1 Cor 3.5

Post by Alan Patterson » November 17th, 2011, 8:38 am

τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν.

The final phrase needs some clarification and I'm wondering how others take it. What is the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 x

χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson

Jonathan Robie

Re: 1 Cor 3.5

Post by Jonathan Robie » November 17th, 2011, 9:11 am

Alan Patterson wrote:τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν.

The final phrase needs some clarification and I'm wondering how others take it. What is the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I read it like this:

διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε
servants through whom you have believed
καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν
to each (of you) as the Lord has given
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

cwconrad

Post by cwconrad » November 17th, 2011, 9:42 am

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Alan Patterson wrote:τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν.

I read it like this:

διάκονοι δι' ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε
servants through whom you have believed
καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ κύριος ἔδωκεν
to each (of you) as the Lord has given
I would prefer to understand the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ as implicit in διάκονοι; i.e. Apollos and Paul are διάκονοι inasmuch as that status and function has been conferred upon each of them.
0 x
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » November 17th, 2011, 9:49 am

cwconrad wrote:I would prefer to understand the antecedent of ἑκάστῳ as implicit in διάκονοι; i.e. Apollos and Paul are διάκονοι inasmuch as that status and function has been conferred upon each of them.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon » November 17th, 2011, 7:55 pm

The sense seems to be something like "ministers through whom you believed, to each of whom the Lord gave a ministry." Paul's Greek appears a bit elliptical here.
0 x

Return to “New Testament”