Deuteronomy 26:27 - πᾶς ἄνθρωπος

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
S Walch

Deuteronomy 26:27 - πᾶς ἄνθρωπος

Post by S Walch »

Ἐπικατάρατος πᾶς ἄνθρωπος, ὃς οὐκ ἐμμενεῖ ἐν πᾶσιν τοῖς λόγοις τοῦ νόμου τούτου τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτούς, καὶ ἐροῦσιν πᾶς ὁ λαός Γένοιτο

In Deuteronomy 27:26 in the Septuagint, the translator(s) translate(s) the Hebrew אשר/whoever as πᾶς ἄνθρωπος/every man.

Is this a common translation of אֲשר/'asher in the Septuagint's version of Deuteronomy when it refers to "whoever", or is the Septuagint translator(s) here placing further emphasis on this command with regards it referring to "every man"? Or could the translation have been done from a manuscript that contained the Hebrew איש אשר as a variant here?

The few places I checked that had אשר/whoever, the Septuagint had it translated as either ὃς (Exod 9:21) or ὃς ἂν (Exod 30:33), but I was just wondering if anyone had seen/knew of any other places that the Septuagint has πᾶς ἄνθρωπος for אשר.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Deuteronomy 26:27 - πᾶς ἄνθρωπος

Post by Ken M. Penner »

S Walch wrote:In Deuteronomy 27:26 in the Septuagint, the translator(s) translate(s) the Hebrew אשר/whoever as πᾶς ἄνθρωπος/every man.

Is this a common translation of אֲשר/'asher in the Septuagint's version of Deuteronomy when it refers to "whoever", or is the Septuagint translator(s) here placing further emphasis on this command with regards it referring to "every man"? Or could the translation have been done from a manuscript that contained the Hebrew איש אשר as a variant here?

The few places I checked that had אשר/whoever, the Septuagint had it translated as either ὃς (Exod 9:21) or ὃς ἂν (Exod 30:33), but I was just wondering if anyone had seen/knew of any other places that the Septuagint has πᾶς ἄνθρωπος for אשר.
Here are some data from the Pentateuch:
The expression πᾶς ἄνθρωπος is not common in Deuteronomy.
It appears in Gen 6.13; 7.21; Num 16.29 (2x); Lev 16.17; 21.18; 22.3; Deut 4.3; 27.26.
Of these, the instances where ἄνθρωπος translates אדם are Ge 7.21; Lev 16.17; Num 16.29 (2x).
The instances where ἄνθρωπος translates איש are Lev 21.18; 22.3; Deut 4.3. These three are the instances most similar to Deut 27.26, in that the phrase πᾶς ἄνθρωπος, ὅς/ὅστις is used. In all three cases the Hebrew is כל ה‍אישׁ אשׁר.
This Hebrew expression also appears in Exodus 25:2 (πάντων, οἷς); Exodus 35:21 (ἕκαστος ὧν), 22 (πάντες, ὅσοι), 23 (ὧ); Lev 21.21 (πᾶς, ὧ).
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
S Walch

Re: Deuteronomy 26:27 - πᾶς ἄνθρωπος

Post by S Walch »

Thanks for the info there, Ken.

Are we therefore to understand Deut 27:26 as I mentioned in my first post, in that the translator is making the force of the command more explicit, especially as there's no other place that has πᾶς ἄνθρωπος, ὃς as a translation of just אשר alone?

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”