Subjective/Objective Genitive in 2 Kingdoms 18:5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Subjective/Objective Genitive in 2 Kingdoms 18:5

Post by Ken M. Penner »

David Lim wrote:Anyway I now realize that I misread Mike as he was taking "εντελλομενου" to refer to "[that which] is commanded". In that case, I would have expected an article since it must refer to that specific command. Also I could not find any participle of "εντελλω" or "εντελλομαι" that was used to refer to something commanded. Ken, do you have some example I missed?
In the present tense, perhaps Herodotus, but it is ambiguous:
Herodotus, Hist. 7.15.3 wrote:ειʼ ὦν θεός ἐστι ὁ ἐπιπέμπων καί οἱ πάντως ἐν ἡδονῇ ἐστι γενέσθαι στρατηλασίην ἐπὶ Ἑλλάδα, ἐπιπτήσεται καὶ σοὶ τὠυτὸ τοῦτο ὄνειρον, ὁμοίως καὶ ἐμοὶ ἐντελλόμενον.
Now if a god is sending the vision, and it is his full pleasure that there this expedition against Hellas take place, that same dream will hover about you and give you the same command it gives me. (Translation by A. D. Godley)
In the perfect tense, Herodotus uses [ποιεῖν] τὰ ἐντεταλμένα in an adverbial way, in the sense of "[do] as instructed" (Hist. 1.60.4; 1.63.2; 1.91.1; 3.62.1; 4.10.1; 4.111.2; 4.9.5; etc.; Pausanias, Graeciae descriptio 10.25.8; 7.11.4).

Pausanias, Graeciae descriptio 7.13.3 has οἱ μὲν δὴ τὰ ἐντεταλμένα Δαμοκρίτῳ καὶ Ἀχαιοῖς ἐπήγγελλον ἐφθακόσιν in the sense of "instructions."

Appian, Appian, Bell. Civ. 5.19 has τοὺς ἱππέας εἶναι καὶ νῦν ἐν Βρεττίοις τὰ ἐντεταλμένα φυλάσσοντας in the same sense.

Among the Judeo-Christian literature, we have the aorist Τότε ὁ παῖς κατὰ τὰ ἐνταλθέντα ἐποίησε in TSolomon 22.12

These are all plural. Herodotus Hist.1.47.2 has the perfect singular: ἐν δὲ Δελφοῖσι ὡς ἐσῆλθον τάχιστα ἐς τὸ μέγαρον οἱ Λυδοὶ χρησόμενοι τῷ θεῷ καὶ ἐπειρώτων τὸ ἐντεταλμένον, They asked the question they were instructed (to ask).

There's one more example I want to cite, just for its similarity with 2 Kdms 18.5: Ἀλεξάνδρου τοῦ βασιλέως ἐντειλαμένου αὐτῷ οἰκίσαι πόλιν ... (Aristot., Econ. 1352a.32)
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”