List of passages with distinct dif. hebrew MT and LXX

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
gywerd

List of passages with distinct dif. hebrew MT and LXX

Post by gywerd »

Can anyone provide me with or refer me to a list of passages with distinct differences between the masoretic text (MT) and LXX. I need it to make a cross comparison between LXX, MT and the Dead Sea Scrolls and DSS. And as I want to focus on the comparison, I'd like to avoid wasting years doing the cross check, if someone one already made it. My project revolves around formal eqivalence translations of the bible. As far I haven't seen a published, extensive, nonbiased comparison of MT, LXX and DDS. An unbiased, extensive comparison (like Origen's Hexapla) would be a valuable tool for translators, students and laypeople when the discussions of fraudalent/unscientific translations arises as well as in exegesis.

Additionally, can you recommend a decent translation of LXX into english, as I'd like to quote official translations in my project when appropriate.
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: List of passages with distinct dif. hebrew MT and LXX

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

If you can get a copy, Archer/Chirichigno is a handy resource on quotations.

Although I haven't had a chance to read it in detail, NETS appears to be a pretty good English LXX.
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote: Although I haven't had a chance to read it in detail, NETS appears to be a pretty good English LXX.
You should keep in mind that NETS is translating text you may not have on hand. Ran into that problem recently. Read Daniel 10:13 LXX-OG in NETS and ended up back translating it into greek. Being lazy, I went looking for the back translation and found it in 1Enoch. Then Ken Penner came to my aid and gave me the text NETS was using.
Last edited by Stirling Bartholomew on July 30th, 2015, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

An old set of parallel aligned texts between the MT and the LXX is found in this directory: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/r ... /parallel/
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

gywerd wrote:My project revolves around formal eqivalence translations of the bible. As far I haven't seen a published, extensive, nonbiased comparison of MT, LXX and DDS. An unbiased, extensive comparison (like Origen's Hexapla) would be a valuable tool for translators, students and laypeople when the discussions of fraudalent/unscientific translations arises as well as in exegesis.
Additionally, can you recommend a decent translation of LXX into english, as I'd like to quote official translations in my project when appropriate.
The New English Translation of the Septuagint and the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible would be the most appropriate translations for this project, in conjunction with the New Revised Standard Version, which I understand is the basis for both of these.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”