Abbreviation for the name of a translation in Hatch&Redpath

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Sean Ingham

Abbreviation for the name of a translation in Hatch&Redpath

Post by Sean Ingham »

Hopefully someone can help with a short issue: I have a note from Hatch & Redpath which contains an abbreviation for a Greek translation, "Al." (small "el") It is used with the same apparatus markers as Aq = Aquila, Sm = Symmachus & Th = Theodotion, but I come up with a blank for "Al." I found a strange copy on archive.org, but its key didn't have the abbreviation. When listed with other translations it is always in fourth position after the other three. "Quint." & "Sext." sometimes also appear, which I guess are those columns of the Hexapla. These abbreviations indicate translations, not manuscripts, which are indicated elsewhere (e.g. A = Codex Alexandrinus, S = C. Sinaiticus) and shown inline, whereas the other translations are shown below LXX exemplars. So, what's "Al."? Thanks.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Abbreviation for the name of a translation in Hatch&Redp

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Could you post an image of the entry?
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Sean Ingham

Post by Sean Ingham »

Ken M. Penner wrote:Could you post an image of the entry?
Here's an example with some context for help. This is a hapax legomenon found only in Al.

Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Ah, that's Ἄλλος. The source of this alternative reading is not given. It's in the scholia according to Nobilius.
Ken M. Penner
Sean Ingham

Post by Sean Ingham »

Ken M. Penner wrote:Ah, that's Ἄλλος. The source of this alternative reading is not given. It's in the scholia according to Nobilius.
Oh dear. One just has to know the source some other way? The particular example that I was interested in was from Lev 25:5 (ναζαραιος). Would such items marked "Al." tend to be Mediaeval or would one have to treat each entry case-by-case?

Thanks for clearing up the "Al.".
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

The key is Field's Hexapla, which reads at Leviticus 25:5:
Field, Origen's Hexapla
Field, Origen's Hexapla
Field Lev 25.5.png (90.27 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
Ken M. Penner
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Ken M. Penner wrote:The key is Field's Hexapla
This one, I assume?

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7089694M/Origen_Hexapla
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

You might find the second apparatus of Wevers' edition of Leviticus more helpful. For Leviticus 25:5
5 ἀγροῦ] ἀμητοῦ (-τον 130) M′ 130-321′-344 | τοῦ ἁγιάσματός (σου)] τὸ σαμʹ τῶν (> 500) χέρσων σου (> 73) C′’cat-77 529 730cat 646cat = SamAramte; ἄλλος τῆς ναζιραίας (αζ. 108 85′-321′-344; ναζαρ. M′) M′ (s nom) C′’cat-77 529 108(s nom) 85′(s nom)-321′(s nom)-344(s nom)-730cat 646cat | ἀναπαύσεως] σαββάτων (-τα 130) 85′-321′-344
Ken M. Penner
Sean Ingham

Post by Sean Ingham »

Ken M. Penner wrote:The key is Field's Hexapla, which reads at Leviticus 25:5
This along with Jonathan Robie's link clarified the evidentiary weight of the reading. Codd. X, Lips. got me to two manuscripts, the former is a 6th-7th C. manuscript in the Fonds Coislin Greek collection, the latter, a 1767 print of an 11th C. text ("bono et accurate scripto"). I have to forget the latter as too probably a candidate for scribal fatigue. Codex Coislinianus LXX (LXX as I can't as yet find the manuscript number and there is a more famous Codex Coislinianus) has some hope of being useful, though it is still two or three centuries after Eusebius's witness to Aq., Sm., and Th. (Dem. Ev. 7.2.41-50).

I don't know what to do with the second apparatus of Wevers' edition you posted, as I don't have access. Except for what the currently inscrutable numbers may reveal, this [ἄλλος τῆς ναζιραίας (αζ. 108 85′-321′-344; ναζαρ. M′)] seems to contain many of Field's variants, though Field has allos ths nazeraios rather than naziraios.

Thanks again for the help.
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

τοῦ ἁγιάσματός (σου)] τὸ σαμʹ τῶν (> 500) χέρσων σου (> 73) C′’cat-77 529 730cat 646cat = SamAramte; ἄλλος τῆς ναζιραίας (αζ. 108 85′-321′-344; ναζαρ. M′) M′ (s nom) C′’cat-77 529 108(s nom) 85′(s nom)-321′(s nom)-344(s nom)-730cat 646cat

The abbreviations/numbers mean:

108 = Rom, Bibl. Vat., Vat. gr. 330. XIII. Jh. Hexaplarische Noten. Sigel bei Br.-M.: b.
85' = 85 + 130
321' = 321 + 346
344 = Athos, Παντοκράτορος, 24. X. Jh. Es fehlt durch Blattverlust 7:5 [καταλειψου]σιν—11:40 αυ[των]. Hexaplarische Noten. Sigel bei Br.-M.: v.
M' = M + 416
s nom = without a name
C' = C + cI + cII
cat = catena
77 = Rom, Bibl. Vat., Vat. gr. 748. XIII.–XIV. Jh. Cat.
529 = Paris, Bibl. Nat., Coisl. 6. XIII. Jh. Cat.
730 = Venedig, Bibl. Marc., Gr. 15. XII. Jh. Cat.
646 = Rom, Bibl. Vat., Barber. gr. 474. XII. Jh. Cat. 1:1–6:6 πλημμελειας bietet die Hs. in zwei Fassungen. Die erste ist als 646I kollationiert. Durch Blattverlust fehlen 6:8–10:11 14:33–16:34 19:19 τα—24:4.
85 = Rom, Bibl. Vat., Vat. gr. 2058. X. Jh. Hexaplarische Noten. Sigel bei Br.-M.: z.
130 = Wien, Nat. Bibl., Theol. gr. 23. XII.–XIII. Jh. Hexaplarische Noten. Sigel bei H.-P.: 131, bei Br.-M.: s.
321 = Athos, Βατοπαιδίου, 603 (früher 516). XIV. Jh. Hexaplarische Noten.
346 = Athos, Πρωτάτου, 53. Geschrieben 1326. Es fehlt init libri—5:15 ακου[σιως]. Hexaplarische Noten.
M = Paris, Bibl. Nat., Coisl. 1. VII. Jh. Hexaplarische Noten. Sigel bei H.-P.: X.
416 = Leipzig, Univ.-Bibl., Gr. 16. X. Jh. Hexaplarische Noten.
C = 16-46-77-131-500-529-739
cI = 57-73-320-413-528-550-552-761
cII = 52-313-414-417-422-551-615
Br.-M = The Old Testament in Greek according to the Text of Codex Vaticanus ed. by A.E. Brooke and N.McLean, vol. I part II. Cambridge 1909
Jh. = century

Brooke-McLean is at https://archive.org/stream/oldtestament ... 5/mode/1up
It has
5 του αγιασματος] της ναζαραιας M : της αζιραιας svz
Ken M. Penner

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”