Best online Septuagint?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
JeffCayzer
Posts: 1
Joined: June 1st, 2011, 7:55 pm

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by JeffCayzer » June 1st, 2011, 8:17 pm

I just want to endorse John Barach's material, which I find very helpful for a variety of longer quotes (saves typing) from a wide range of biblical and post-biblical texts.
Many thanks, John, for providing such a great tool.

From another tool-maker (translating a German commentary on 1 Corinthians),

Jeff Cayzer
Macquarie University


NathanSmith
Posts: 53
Joined: June 10th, 2011, 12:38 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Contact:

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by NathanSmith » October 12th, 2011, 12:56 am

The German Bible Society now publishes Rahlf's LXX text (along with NA-27, the Vulgate, and BHS) online: http://www.academic-bible.com/en/online-bibles/. No text-critical apparatus as of yet.

JBarach-Sr
Posts: 33
Joined: May 31st, 2011, 12:20 pm
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by JBarach-Sr » February 25th, 2015, 11:16 pm

As an update, I've sold the motorera.com site.
The Greek Septuagint with analytical lexicon is now found at http://www.GreekDoc.com
The site also includes the NT and the Early Christian Writings.
All the words of each of these texts are included in the analytical lexicon.
καὶ ἀνέγνωσαν ἐν βιβλίῳ νόμου τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ ἐδίδασκεν Εσδρας καὶ διέστελλεν ἐν ἐπιστήμῃ κυρίου καὶ συνῆκεν ὁ λαὸς ἐν τῇ ἀναγνώσει. (Neh. 8:8)
[url]http://www.GreekDoc.com/lxx/neh/neh08.html[/url]

Shirley Rollinson
Posts: 282
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Location: New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by Shirley Rollinson » February 26th, 2015, 9:22 pm

JBarach-Sr wrote:As an update, I've sold the motorera.com site.
The Greek Septuagint with analytical lexicon is now found at http://www.GreekDoc.com
The site also includes the NT and the Early Christian Writings.
All the words of each of these texts are included in the analytical lexicon.
Thanks for letting us know - I'd be lost without it :-)
Shirley Rollinson

R. Perkins
Posts: 34
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by R. Perkins » June 5th, 2015, 12:24 am

Okay - So I just purchased the LXX with Kraft/Taylor/Wheeler Morphology and LEH Lexicon from Olive Tree (the Bible software I use).

This may seem like an ignorant question, but when I look up a passage in this LXX it doesn't seem to match the chapter-verse(s) of other translations or even the BHS (which I also recently purchased with morphological tagging).

For ex., recently I was wondering about the specific parsing of Psalm 33.6. Here is how it reads in this LXX:

"προσέλθατε πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ φωτίσθητε καὶ τὰ πρόσωπα ὑμῶν οὐ μὴ καταισχυνθῇ."

Obviously (at least to me?), this isn't the same as in our English translations: "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host."

Perhaps this belongs on the beginners forum (& please pardon my error if so - wasn't sure where to post a question regarding the LXX) as such an elementary question, but what am I missing in this LXX?

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3097
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by Jonathan Robie » June 5th, 2015, 1:23 am

R. Perkins wrote:This may seem like an ignorant question, but when I look up a passage in this LXX it doesn't seem to match the chapter-verse(s) of other translations or even the BHS (which I also recently purchased with morphological tagging).
Right - the numbering of Psalms in the Septuagint differs from the numbering in the Hebrew Masoretic Text. As Wikipedia explains:
lxx-numbering.png
lxx-numbering.png (28.39 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
R. Perkins wrote:For ex., recently I was wondering about the specific parsing of Psalm 33.6. Here is how it reads in this LXX:

"προσέλθατε πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ φωτίσθητε καὶ τὰ πρόσωπα ὑμῶν οὐ μὴ καταισχυνθῇ."

Obviously (at least to me?), this isn't the same as in our English translations: "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host."
Kind of makes you wonder what Psalm 32:6 says, doesn't it?
τῷ λόγῳ τοῦ Κυρίου οἱ οὐρανοὶ ἐστερεώθησαν καὶ τῷ πνεύματι τοῦ στόματος αὐτοῦ πᾶσα ἡ δύναμις αὐτῶν·
R. Perkins wrote:Perhaps this belongs on the beginners forum (& please pardon my error if so - wasn't sure where to post a question regarding the LXX) as such an elementary question, but what am I missing in this LXX?
Well, it sounds like you can read the Greek, you just didn't know the numbering system. Trust me, the numbering system is easier to learn ;->
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

R. Perkins
Posts: 34
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by R. Perkins » June 5th, 2015, 1:39 am

Jonathan Robie wrote:
R. Perkins wrote:This may seem like an ignorant question, but when I look up a passage in this LXX it doesn't seem to match the chapter-verse(s) of other translations or even the BHS (which I also recently purchased with morphological tagging).
Right - the numbering of Psalms in the Septuagint differs from the numbering in the Hebrew Masoretic Text. As Wikipedia explains:
lxx-numbering.png
R. Perkins wrote:For ex., recently I was wondering about the specific parsing of Psalm 33.6. Here is how it reads in this LXX:

"προσέλθατε πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ φωτίσθητε καὶ τὰ πρόσωπα ὑμῶν οὐ μὴ καταισχυνθῇ."

Obviously (at least to me?), this isn't the same as in our English translations: "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host."
Kind of makes you wonder what Psalm 32:6 says, doesn't it?
τῷ λόγῳ τοῦ Κυρίου οἱ οὐρανοὶ ἐστερεώθησαν καὶ τῷ πνεύματι τοῦ στόματος αὐτοῦ πᾶσα ἡ δύναμις αὐτῶν·
R. Perkins wrote:Perhaps this belongs on the beginners forum (& please pardon my error if so - wasn't sure where to post a question regarding the LXX) as such an elementary question, but what am I missing in this LXX?
Well, it sounds like you can read the Greek, you just didn't know the numbering system. Trust me, the numbering system is easier to learn ;->
Ahhh, a million times thank you!

So, am I understanding correctly that I need to just back-track one chapter, while keeping the same verse?

Or (as is most likely), I will need to learn the whole chapter-verse system all over again :evil: ?

Man, I was furious that I had just bought this resource & couldn't even use it (still cannot copy-paste from the BHS though, but that's another forum :D ).

Also, can I go to any other LXX book (than Psalm) & locate the same chapter-verse as in, say, the NASB...or is there an entirely different numbering system for the LXX?

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3097
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by Jonathan Robie » June 5th, 2015, 8:23 am

R. Perkins wrote:So, am I understanding correctly that I need to just back-track one chapter, while keeping the same verse?

Or (as is most likely), I will need to learn the whole chapter-verse system all over again :evil: ?
You have three choices. You can find a table somewhere to convert between the two systems, you can memorize the differences, or you can do what I do: if you don't find the Psalm you're looking for, try the one before or the one after.
R. Perkins wrote:Also, can I go to any other LXX book (than Psalm) & locate the same chapter-verse as in, say, the NASB...or is there an entirely different numbering system for the LXX?
You mostly can. The ordering of books in the LXX is different. The LXX contains material not found in the Masoretic Text. In some books, such as Daniel, the LXX text is quite different from the Hebrew for some chapters. So every once in a while you will get a little lost looking for a verse by its Hebrew citation, but it generally works quite well outside of the Psalms.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Ken M. Penner
Posts: 722
Joined: May 12th, 2011, 7:50 am
Location: Antigonish, NS, Canada
Contact:

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by Ken M. Penner » June 5th, 2015, 9:08 am

Jonathan Robie wrote:You can find a table somewhere to convert between the two systems
One example is from Swete's Introduction, at http://ccel.org/ccel/swete/greekot.iv.ii.html
Ken M. Penner
St. Francis Xavier University

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest