Differences Between Da 11:13 in Field's Hexapla and Rahlfs' Version of the Septuagint

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Vlad Kotenko

Differences Between Da 11:13 in Field's Hexapla and Rahlfs' Version of the Septuagint

Post by Vlad Kotenko »

The Septuagint part at Daniel 11:13 reads as follows in Frederick Field’s Origenis Hexaplorum quae supersunt:

Κατὰ συντέλειαν καιροῦ ἐνιαυτοῦ καὶ εἰσελεύσεται εἰς αὐτὴν ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸν ἐν ὄχλῳ πολλῷ καὶ ἐν χρήμασι πολλοῖς. Αλλος και εις το τελος των καιρων εναντιον επελευσεται ορχομενος.

The same passage in Rahlfs’ version of the Septuagint omits the last sentence.
Does anyone know why the sentence is omitted in Rahlfs’ version?
S Walch

Re: Differences Between Da 11:13 in Field's Hexapla and Rahlfs' Version of the Septuagint

Post by S Walch »

The Greek 'Αλλος' in Fried's Hexapla refers to literally 'the others', as in the other Greek versions. Therefore the Greek words after Αλλος aren't in the LXX. Αλλος also therefore isn't contained in any of them :)
Vlad Kotenko

Re: Differences Between Da 11:13 in Field's Hexapla and Rahlfs' Version of the Septuagint

Post by Vlad Kotenko »

Thank you for explaining Field’s terminology in his work. I guess that Αλλος is written when two or more of the other versions differ from LXX but have exactly the same reading between themselves.
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Yes that's more or less correct.

In this case, if we split Field's text a bit, so it's more readable:

Dan 11:13:
Mas Heb. words in question
וּלְקֵ֨ץ הָֽעִתִּ֤ים שָׁנִים֙ יָ֣בוֹא ב֔וֹא

Latin Trans.
Et ad finem temporum annorum veniet veniendo

Θ / Theodotion
και εις το τελος των καιρων ενιαυτων επελευσεται εισοδια

O / LXX
κατὰ συντέλειαν καιροῦ ἐνιαυτοῦ, καὶ εἰσελεύσεται εἰς αὐτὴν ἐπʼ αὐτὸν

Αλλος / The others (not specified)
και εις το τελος των καιρων ενιαυτων επελευσεται ερχομενος

So to correct, the text after Αλλος is not an extension to Daniel 11:13, but the translation of the above Hebrew words in the text of Aquila and Symmachus, as opposed to the one of Theodotion and the LXX.
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

S Walch wrote: April 17th, 2017, 12:55 pm The Greek 'Αλλος' in Fried's Hexapla refers to literally 'the others', as in the other Greek versions. Therefore the Greek words after Αλλος aren't in the LXX. Αλλος also therefore isn't contained in any of them :)
Right, except Αλλος is singular, so "another" rather than "the others." In this case Ziegler's apparatus indicates the "other" translation is that of Symmachus.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Well, I'm either tired or stupid to have got the singular ἄλλος and the plural ἄλλοι mixed up, especially as the last αλλοι is back in Dan 7:9. I'm settling on 'tired' :)

Also received the English translation of Field's Hexapla - should certainly consider getting it, Vlad. Gives a lot of information, and explains all of Field's abbreviations et al :)

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... ortby%3D17

Wasn't as expensive when I got it. I'm guessing copies are hard to come by.
Vlad Kotenko

Post by Vlad Kotenko »

I have now compared all passages where συντέλεια and τέλος appear in LXX with the same passages in other versions. The only verses where those words are used interchangeably between different available versions are Da 11:13 and Da 11:45.

Da 11:13 (LXX): “Καὶ ἐπιστρέψει βασιλεὺς βορρᾶ καὶ συνάξει πόλεως συναγωγὴν μείζονα παρὰ τὴν πρώτην κατὰ συντέλειαν καιροῦ ἐνιαυτοῦ καὶ εἰσελεύσεται εἰς αὐτὴν ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸν ἐν ὄχλῳ πολλῷ καὶ ἐν χρήμασι πολλοῖς.”
Da 11:13 (Theodotion): “Καὶ ἐπιστρέψει βασιλεὺς τοῦ βορρᾶ καὶ ἄξει ὄχλον πολὺν ὑπὲρ τὸν πρότερον καὶ εἰς τὸ τέλος τῶν καιρῶν ἐνιαυτῶν ἐπελεύσεται εἰσόδια ἐν δυνάμει μεγάλῃ καὶ ἐν ὑπάρξει πολλῇ.”

Da 11:45 (LXX): “Καὶ στήσει αὐτοῦ τὴν σκηνὴν τότε ἀνὰ μέσον τῶν θαλασσῶν καὶ τοῦ ὄρους τῆς θελήσεως τοῦ ἁγίου· καὶ ἥξει ὥρα τῆς συντελείας αὐτοῦ, καὶ οὐκ ἔσται ὁ βοηθῶν αὐτῷ.”
Da 11:45 (Aquila): “Και φυτευσει τεν σκενεν του πραιτωριου αυτου. Απεδνω μεταζυ τον θαλασσων εν ορει ενδοζω και αγιφ και ηζει εως τελους αυτου.”

I did not find any instance of the interchangeable use of συντέλεια and τέλος between the manuscripts of the Christian Greek Scriptures in such critical apparatuses as CNTTS and UBS5. Apparently the scribes did not substitute τέλος for συντέλεια or vice versa when copying texts. But based on how the words are used in various contexts, it is evident that they can be used with the same meaning. There are some online databases with a lot of Greek texts. Thesaurus Linguae Graecae requires a paid subscription. So I will have to start with Perseus Digital Library, which allows to search for words in different texts without charge.
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Vlad Kotenko wrote: April 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm I did not find any instance of the interchangeable use of συντέλεια and τέλος between the manuscripts of the Christian Greek Scriptures in such critical apparatuses as CNTTS and UBS5. Apparently the scribes did not substitute τέλος for συντέλεια or vice versa when copying texts. But based on how the words are used in various contexts, it is evident that they can be used with the same meaning. There are some online databases with a lot of Greek texts. Thesaurus Linguae Graecae requires a paid subscription. So I will have to start with Perseus Digital Library, which allows to search for words in different texts without charge.
Did you look at the verbal forms? For example:
Acts 21:27 ... αἱ ἑπτὰ ἡμέραι συντελεῖσθαι ... Codex B, etc.

Acts 21:27 ... αἱ ἑπτὰ ἡμέραι τελειοῦσθαι ... 614, 1505, 1611, 2147, 2412, 2495.

source: Reuben Swanson.
ps I think Thesaurus Linguae Graecae still has a public collection of frequently accessed texts for classics students. It doesn't require a subscription. You will probably not find all the church fathers there however.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Vlad Kotenko

Post by Vlad Kotenko »

Did you look at the verbal forms? For example:

Acts 21:27 ... αἱ ἑπτὰ ἡμέραι συντελεῖσθαι ... Codex B, etc.

Acts 21:27 ... αἱ ἑπτὰ ἡμέραι τελειοῦσθαι ... 614, 1505, 1611, 2147, 2412, 2495.

source: Reuben Sw
anson.
Searching for instances of the interchangeable usage of the verbal forms is an additional way to show that the noun forms can be used interchangeably. I have not yet made comparisons of verbal forms and will try to search for them in critical apparatuses.

There are a lot of instances in LXX where the words συντέλεια and τέλος, although occurring in different verses, are used in similar contexts or with the same phrases, which illustrates their interchangeable use.

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”