Abbreviations “Al.” and “Quint.” in Hatch and Redpath’s Concordance to the Septuagint

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Vlad Kotenko

Abbreviations “Al.” and “Quint.” in Hatch and Redpath’s Concordance to the Septuagint

Post by Vlad Kotenko »

Hatch and Redpath’s Concordance to the Septuagint has references to the passages in Aquila’s, Theodotion’s, and Symmachus’ versions. It also refers to certain two texts the names of which are abbreviated as Al. and Quint. What do those abbreviations stand for? I did not find the explanation in the Preface to the concordance. Are those texts available in the electronic format?
S Walch

Re: Abbreviations “Al.” and “Quint.” in Hatch and Redpath’s Concordance to the Septuagint

Post by S Walch »

Well, 'Quint.' refers to the Quinta, that is yet another Greek translation that Origen apparently used in extra columns, expanding the Hexapla in certain books - Psalms, Canticles, Job, and Minor Prophets. 'Quinta' is therefore the reference to this 5th Greek translation of the Tanakh (Aquila being #1, Sym #2, LXX #3, and Theod #4). 'Quinta' is literally the number 5.

You may also find references to the Sexta and Septima (numbers 6 and 7 respectively), being a further two Greek translations of the Tanakh used by Origen.

As for 'Al.', I'm guessing that's a further shorthand for ἄλλος/ἄλλοι (other/others).
Vlad Kotenko

Re: Abbreviations “Al.” and “Quint.” in Hatch and Redpath’s Concordance to the Septuagint

Post by Vlad Kotenko »

Thank you for explaining the meaning of the abbreviations. I have looked up some passages from Hatch and Redpath’s concordance in Field’s Hexapla. The abbreviation “Al.” is used in the concordance for the words in the verses where ἄλλος appears in Field’s Hexapla.

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”