Is. 54:4 neg. particle minus after ὅτι (twice)

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stirling Bartholomew

Is. 54:4 neg. particle minus after ὅτι (twice)

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Is. 54:4 μὴ φοβοῦ ὅτι κατῃσχύνθης, μηδὲ ἐντραπῇς ὅτι ὠνειδίσθης· ὅτι αἰσχύνην αἰώνιον ἐπιλήσῃ καὶ ὄνειδος τῆς χηρείας σου οὐ μὴ μνησθήσῃ.
Not sure what's going on here. It appears the Greek version of Isaiah interprets the ὅτι clauses dropping a negative particle twice following ὅτι. כי־לא
Qumran Is. 54:4 Fear not; for you shall not be ashamed: and {&waw&}do not be confounded; for you shall not 28. be {&yod&}embarrassed for you shall forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you shall not remember
source: http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/qa-tran.htm#c44
NETS Is. 54:4
4 Do not fear because you were put to shame,
neither feel disgraced because you were
reproached,
because you will forget your ancient shame
and the reproach of your widowhood you
will not remember,
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Ken M. Penner

Re: Is. 54:4 neg. particle minus after ὅτι (twice)

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Notes:
  • ὅτι is the usual reflex for כי in Greek Isaiah.
  • Greek Isaiah tends to use ὅτι with the meaning "because" more than "that" (about twice as often).
  • כי לא appears also in Isa 7:9; 27:11; 28:27,28; 36:14; 37:19; 38:18; 47:1,5; 52:1,12; 54:14; 55:8; 57:16.
  • The negation does not disappear in the other instances. The most common translation is οὐ γάρ.
I have no explanation for dropping the negation, other than to suggest that the meaning "for" didn't occur to the translator, and he thought the negation made no sense.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Is. 54:4 neg. particle minus after ὅτι (twice)

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Ken M. Penner wrote: January 30th, 2018, 4:26 pm Notes:
  • ὅτι is the usual reflex for כי in Greek Isaiah.
  • Greek Isaiah tends to use ὅτι with the meaning "because" more than "that" (about twice as often).
  • כי לא appears also in Isa 7:9; 27:11; 28:27,28; 36:14; 37:19; 38:18; 47:1,5; 52:1,12; 54:14; 55:8; 57:16.
  • The negation does not disappear in the other instances. The most common translation is οὐ γάρ.
I have no explanation for dropping the negation, other than to suggest that the meaning "for" didn't occur to the translator, and he thought the negation made no sense.
Thank you Ken, that is very helpful. I looked at all every translation of כי לא in Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel. I found one example of a dropped negative in Jeremiah[1] which bears very little resemblance to the construction in Is. 54:4 for which I could find no identical examples[2], i.e. multiple כי לא. I realize there were probably different translators for Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel.

[1]
Jer. 5:10‏ עלו בשׁרותיה ושׁחתו וכלה אל־תעשׂו הסירו נטישׁותיה כי לוא ליהוה

Jer. 5:10 ἀνάβητε ἐπὶ τοὺς προμαχῶνας αὐτῆς καὶ κατασκάψατε, συντέλειαν δὲ μὴ ποιήσητε· ὑπολίπεσθε τὰ ὑποστηρίγματα αὐτῆς, ὅτι τοῦ κυρίου εἰσίν.

Jer. 5:10 (NRSV)
   Go up through her vine-rows and destroy,
but do not make a full end;
strip away her branches,
for they are not the LORD’S.

NETS
Go up upon her battlements, and raze,
but do not make a full end;
leave behind her under-props,
because they are the Lord’s,
[2]
Jer. 10:5
‏ כתמר מקשׁה המה ולא ידברו נשׂוא ינשׂוא כי לא יצעדו אל־תיראו מהם כי־לא ירעו וגם־היטיב אין אותם ס

Jer. 10:5 αἰρόμενα ἀρθήσονται, ὅτι οὐκ ἐπιβήσονται. μὴ φοβηθῆτε αὐτά, ὅτι οὐ μὴ κακοποιήσωσιν, καὶ ἀγαθὸν οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”