G and OG in Isaiah.

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stirling Bartholomew

G and OG in Isaiah.

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I'm reading selected portions of Ken Penner's text & commentary on Isaiah Codex Sinaiticus. It has been a couple of decades since I have read anything technical about textual criticism in the Greek old Testament. I'm having problems with the abbreviations. I'm guessing that G doesn't refer to a text but a translator. I vaguely recall John Wevers on Genesis using G frequently and it referred to the presumed original translation of Genesis. I don't recall if he considered the Göttingen edtion of Genesis identical with G. With books outside the Pentateuch the Old Greek OG is used for the presumed original translation. Is it presumed that the critical edition of Isaiah is the OG? Is G used interchangeably with OG in reference to Isaiah? Yes I am confused.

Isaiah Codex Sinaiticus Page 488
Imperfects are extremely rare in G. Besides the forms of εἰμί, there are only four imperfects in G, three of which are in this paragraph (the other is ἔφερον in 30:6). By contrast, Ezekiel has dozens of imperfects. The Hebrew form behind κατεκάλυπτον is yiqtol. Again, the Hebrew form is yiqtol. The significance of G’s use of imperfect is twofold: (1) G thought the yiqtol forms here conveyed imperfective aspect; (2) G did not think the yiqtol forms regularly conveyed imperfective aspect.
G is something which we can search and count perfects.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Jean Putmans

Re: G and OG in Isaiah.

Post by Jean Putmans »

maybe: OG = Old Greek = the oldest LXX-Version, and G = the Kaige-/Theodotian-Version?
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: January 4th, 2022, 3:28 pmIs G used interchangeably with OG in reference to Isaiah?
Yes, in my commentary G is just short for Greek. It can stand for the Old Greek translator or his translation (=OG).
Penner Isaiah commentary Page 1
Penner Isaiah commentary Page 1
Isaiah 1.jpg (172.08 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Stirling Bartholomew

Ken M. Penner wrote: January 5th, 2022, 10:24 am
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: January 4th, 2022, 3:28 pmIs G used interchangeably with OG in reference to Isaiah?
Yes, in my commentary G is just short for Greek. It can stand for the Old Greek translator or his translation (=OG).
Isaiah 1.jpg
So when we talk about the number of perfects found in G Isaiah there is a searchable tagged text of this being used for research.

Thank you.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:48 pm So when we talk about the number of perfects found in G Isaiah there is a searchable tagged text of this being used for research.
Yes, that would be Ziegler's critical edition in the Göttingen series, morphologically searchable through Logos. https://www.logos.com/product/180074/isaias
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Stirling Bartholomew

Ken M. Penner wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:54 pm
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:48 pm So when we talk about the number of perfects found in G Isaiah there is a searchable tagged text of this being used for research.
Yes, that would be Ziegler's critical edition in the Göttingen series, morphologically searchable through Logos. https://www.logos.com/product/180074/isaias
Great, mystery solved. I thought perhaps you had constructed a private research tool for Greek Isaiah. I haven't dabbled in Göttingen or anything else from Lexham. In my muddled memory of the late '90s Rohampton Circle they were building their own research tools.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”