Synopsis of the Greek Sources for the Hasmonean Period

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Louis L Sorenson

Synopsis of the Greek Sources for the Hasmonean Period

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

This work just became available on Logos.

subsidia biblica—20
JOSEPH SIEVERS
Synopsis of the Greek Sources for the Hasmonean Period: 1–2 Maccabees and Josephus, War 1 and Antiquities 12–14 EDITRICE PONTIFICIO ISTITUTO BIBLICO—ROMA 2001

Here is some of the preface:
Preface

This synopsis has had a long genesis. Part I (without Josephus) and Part III originated over two decades ago as a preliminary for my dissertation on Hasmonean history, at the suggestion of my adviser, the late Prof. Morton Smith. At that time, the texts were literally cut and pasted together. Daniel R. Schwartz urged me to make this material available in print. It was clear to me that one could not simply reproduce my hand copy, but that the work had to be redone using the electronic text versions. A first trial was undertaken as part of a course I taught on the Deuterocanonical Books (Apocrypha) at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in 1999. My students Dionisio Candido, Cesare Grasso, Peter Kirchschläger, and Stefano Monti each took on a section of 1 and 2 Maccabees, in order to try out several possible formats for a synopsis.
After this experiment, Grasso and Candido designed the page layout, converted all Greek text to the SPIonic font, checked accuracy against the printed versions of Rahlfs and Niese, did the rough layout of the text, based on my earlier work, and helped with other questions of formatting. Without their skillful assistance, this synopsis would never have seen the light of day.
At various stages of the project I received helpful advice from Patrick Durusau, Gary Anderson, and Guy Lasserre. Responsibility for the final layout and for any remaining inaccuracies or errors is of course my own.
The text of 1 and 2 Maccabees is that of Septuaginta, Id est Vetus Testamentum graece iuxta LXX interpretes ed. Alfred Rahlfs, © 1935, 1979 Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart, used by kind permission of the publisher. The electronic version of these texts was made available through BibleWorks, L.L.C., by kind permission.
The text of Josephus is based on the edition of Benedictus Niese, Flavii Iosephi Opera, Berlin: Weidmann, 1885–1895, vol. 3 Antiquitatum iudaicarum libri XI–XV (1892); vol. 6 De bello iudaico edd. Iustus a Destinon and Benedictus Niese (1894). The electronic version of these texts was made available by kind permission of Prof. Maria Pantelia, Director of the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae project.
I am grateful to Prof. James Swetnam, SJ, for accepting this volume for the Subsidia Biblica series and for offering advice and encouragement along the way. Last not least, my thanks go to Prof. Robert F. O’Toole, SJ, who furthered this project in his capacity both as rector of the Pontifical Biblical Institute and as director of its publishing house.

Introduction: Contents, Arrangement, and Purpose of the Synopsis

Synopses have increasingly been recognized as an indispendable tool for the study of the Gospels ever since Johann J. Griesbach produced the first one in 1774. In the twentieth century, numerous synopses have been published not only of the Gospels but also of other texts. Relevant portions of Josephus’ biblical paraphrase are included in Vannutelli’s synopsis of the books of Kings and Chronicles. Pelletier’s very thorough study of the relationship between the Letter of Aristeas and Josephus’ paraphrase of it in Antiquities 12.11–118 provides a synopsis of the two texts. Yet, none of the published synopses includes 1 and 2 Maccabees or the parallel portions of the Antiquities. Furthermore, no extended sections of the Antiquities and the War have ever been printed side-by-side. Thus this synopsis is intended to break new ground and to assist scholars in studying these works together.

Sievers, J. (2001). Vol. 20: Synopsis of the Greek Sources for the Hasmonean Period: 1–2 Maccabees and Josephus, War 1 and Antiquities 12–14. Subsidia Biblica (viii). Rome: Editrice Pontificio Istituto Biblico.

The price is a measly $14. http://www.logos.com/product/2888/synop ... ean-period

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”