"Unseen" Koine Text

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Cascade effect

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
Barry Hofstetter wrote:Both as a student and then later teaching, I realized that often I or my student(s) were only really getting one or two things wrong, and that tends to have a bit of a cascade effect. Sometimes a student turns in a translation which he or she feels is truly horrible, but I take very little off for it. Why? "Because you just got one thing wrong, and then how you made sense of the rest of it tells me a lot about your ability with the language."
Off topic, here, I know, but this describes well what I see in the Septuagint. Greek Isaiah's discrepancies from the Hebrew are often described as paraphrases or theologically-motivated changes, but I see mainly simple misunderstandings that then produce cascade effects.
Ken, that's a fascinating thought. I'll have to look at LXX Isaiah from the perspective. I recently added daily LXX reading to my regimen...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Cascade Effect

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Ken M. Penner wrote:I see mainly simple misunderstandings that then produce cascade effects.
For example, see my notes on Isaiah 21:2; 6-11 and 9:1-8 at viewtopic.php?t=753&p=3115#p3115 and viewtopic.php?t=651&p=2512#p2512
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Stephen Hughes

ἑξῆς v. καθεξῆς

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jordan Day wrote:τὰ ἑξῆς ...νῦν μνημονεύω “καθεξῆς σοι γραψαι, κράτιστε θεόφιλε...”
You may want to check your understanding of ἑξῆς out. It is just a little different to καθεξῆς

He is not thinking of the narrative line that he is going to be presenting them as Luke is, but just the following things that he is in the middle of telling.

ἑξῆς - (with a starting point in the present discussion / narrative - the next detail in a story)
καθεξῆς - (ἑξῆς with an independent starting point - its own series - seen in summary / overview)

This fixed v. free-floating (absolute v. relative) differentiation is similar to that seen in ἀκολουθεῖν v. ἐπακολουθεῖν
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”