Josephus Antiquities 7.127

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Andrew Chapman

Josephus Antiquities 7.127

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Τοῦτο τὸ πταῖσμα τοὺς Ἀμμανίτας οὐκ ἔπεισεν ἠρεμεῖν οὐδὲ μαθόντας τοὺς κρείττονας ἡσυχίαν ἄγειν,

This defeat did not persuade the Ammanites to remain quiet or to keep the peace in the knowledge that their enemy was superior. [Loeb]

This defeat did not still induce the Ammonites to be quiet, nor to own those that were superior to them to be so, and be still, [Whiston]

I had read the participial phrase as a positive - nor, despite having learnt that their enemies were stronger, [were they persuaded] to keep the peace.

But I see that Whiston understands Josephus as saying that they had not so learnt. The Loeb translation leaves it open, I think. I can see how it could be read Whiston's way, but I would like to ask if it is possible to tell which is right.

Thanks, Andrew

P.S. It seems to me that there might be a progression in view, despite the fact that ἡσυχίαν ἄγειν has a very similar lexical range to ἠρεμεῖν according to L & S. First, they were not subdued and quieted by their defeat; and second, even though the Israelites were stronger, they did not make a strategic decision to keep the peace. Any thoughts? I also wondered about the meaning 'acquiesce in a verdict', given in L & S for ἠρεμέω, as a possible nuance.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Josephus Antiquities 7.127

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Andrew Chapman wrote:Τοῦτο τὸ πταῖσμα τοὺς Ἀμμανίτας οὐκ ἔπεισεν ἠρεμεῖν οὐδὲ μαθόντας τοὺς κρείττονας ἡσυχίαν ἄγειν,
I had read the participial phrase as a positive - nor, despite having learnt that their enemies were stronger, [were they persuaded] to keep the peace.
But I see that Whiston understands Josephus as saying that they had not so learnt. The Loeb translation leaves it open, I think. I can see how it could be read Whiston's way, but I would like to ask if it is possible to tell which is right.
My initial reading is more like Whiston's than yours, Andrew, probably because the participle immediately follows a negator. But I don't think your reading is wrong.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Andrew Chapman

Re: Josephus Antiquities 7.127

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Thanks, Ken, I am probably thinking in English too much: nor, having learnt [their enemies to be] stronger, to be at peace.

Andrew

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”