What Secular Greek texts do you give NT Greek students?

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

What Secular Greek texts do you give NT Greek students?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

For those of you who teach New Testament Greek: what contemporary Greek texts do you give to your students? How do you use them?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Re: What Secular Greek texts do you give NT Greek students?

Post by cwconrad »

I should let Louis answer this one: the #1 answer is, I think, Epictetus. Louis has a site devoted to resources for reading and studying the Enchiridion or "Manual" of Epictetus, a selection from the Stoic teacher's street lectures delivered in Rome as recorded by the historian Appian. Parts of Marcus Aurelius Meditations are also well worth reading, in my opinion. I think some here, Φωσφορος, for instance, have been reading the contemporary Greek novelists ("romances"): Chariton and the like. I've sometimes recommended the Pseudo-Lucian ΟΝΟΣ ("The Ass") which was the inspiration for Apuleius' great Latin novel, "The Golden Ass."
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

His site advertises audio files - did he ever record them?

I was unable to find them.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

In addition to Epictetus and Aurelius, I would include Lucian of Samasota (for the fun factor, if nothing else), Josephus, Aesop, and Plutarch. Yes, they all tend to have Atticizing tendencies, but a surprising amount of "Koine" slips in when they aren't being careful. What about Philo and the early church fathers, Justin Martyr?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
mwpalmer

Post by mwpalmer »

Do any of you have the address of the site on Epictetus mentioned in this discussion?
Micheal W. Palmer
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Mike Palmer asked:

Do any of you have the address of the site on Epictetus mentioned in this discussion?

http://www.letsreadgreek.com/Epictetus/
George F Somsel

Post by George F Somsel »

You can also find more on the Perseus site.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/col ... reco-Roman
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
Shirley Rollinson

Re: What Biblical Greek texts do you give NT Greek students?

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

LXX, didache, etc.
If they're learning NT Greek, it's presumably because they want to read (mark, learn, and inwardly digest) the GNT.
So we mainly read the GNT, in the rough order : Gospels, Acts, Revelation, Epistles (easier ones, then longer and harder ones), Romans, Hebrews.
That's enough for several semesters, If they want a change from NT, we do LXX - that would be enough for several years, at various levels of difficulty.
After that then hopefully they've graduated and gone on to whatever they were aiming for (pastorate, preaching, translation, whatever)

Those who finish the Intermediate classes and are interested in "Greek" rather than "New Testament" may go on to Homer or classical, or even a bit of modern, along with koine.
karivalkama

Post by karivalkama »

LXX, didache, etc.
If they're learning NT Greek, it's presumably because they want to read (mark, learn, and inwardly digest) the GNT.
I am not a teacher, but from my perspective as a linguist, exegete and Bible translator I would like suggest that it is important to read secular Greek, if you want to understand the NT Greek. If the only texts of the epistle type the students read, are the ones in the NT, then it is easy to have tunnel vision. It is easy to misinterpret the rhetorical devices and even the grammar that Paul uses when there is no context of how those devices are used outside of the NT.

And even for the beginner student starting with narrative, I think it would be beneficial to start with secular Greek, like Xenofon. If a student reads Gospel stories and ponders for example the use of aorist or historical present, that pondering in the context of the NT can lead to wrong conclusions, because it is religious text and inspired holy text. If one encounters aorist and historical present in secular texts first, those potential wrong conclusions are excluded. That may result in inaccurate preaching, teaching and translation.

Just my two cents worth.
Kari Valkama
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I agree completely. The more you read, the more you know. In another thread, there is a discussion on the use of OUN in James 5:7, which includes comments on the use of particles in general. How can one determine any particular use of a given particle if on does not have a sense of how that particle in general? In fact, the use of particles is quite fluid, and may vary from author to author even in Attic Greek. Having a sense of the wide ranging uses is crucial, and mutatis mutandis with other constructions and the semantic range of lexical items.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”