Obtaining Translations of Texts in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Bernd Strauss

Obtaining Translations of Texts in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Hello,

Thesaurus Linguae Graecae does not provide English translations of the texts contained in the database. My research is based to a considerable extent on finding English translations of the instances where certain Greek words are used. Can you suggest how to find English translations of the Greek works contained in the database? It is difficult to search for English translations on the Internet because the database uses titles in the Latin language only.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Obtaining Translations of Texts in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae

Post by Jonathan Robie »

There are English translations of many of the texts in the Perseus collection. Here is the index into Greek texts:

https://opengreekandlatin.github.io/First1KGreek/

Those are available in GitHub, many with morphology and some with treebanks. You can find many of the English / German translations via this link:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/col ... irect=true

The translations are also available in GitHub, I am not sure how to index from one to the other.

Do you need the entire corpus or a subset? How are you aligning texts?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Jonathan Robie wrote: December 25th, 2017, 6:00 pm How are you aligning texts?
If he doesn't already have a means for alignment, I would recomment: http://ugarit.ialigner.com/
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Occasionally, TLG will provide a link to a translation (usually Perseus). Working in a lot in TLG, without the benefit of a parallel translation, does wonders for one's ability to sight-read Greek.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Peter Streitenberger

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear folks, a good question, I need to search for TLG translations several times a week, so I try to give some hints: maybe you have some books of translated works in your bookshelf (I do - at least the most important ones: Herodot, Polybius, Homer, Thucydides, Plutarch and some more), if I need others: try google books - type in the authors name (mostly of success, but some pages are blacked, older ones are on completely), then I have a longer collection of Links, e.g. for church fathers, and something good is the new Amazon Programm: here the have many writers for free !!! and some for only 1-2 Dollars - Hippocrates works - only for such a bargain? You have a search possibility there. Perseus has often the most important ones, but if you do a lot of research as I have to - you need to check other resources. A google search with the authors name brings you in some cases to a link where to get it. This are my states - last thing: I order a copy via a library copy agency here - some Euros for some pages. Does this help? Do you have other experience or hints? Sometimes it is good to look the name of the authour in Wiki up and try to google the named translations, Google Books often has it. Peter Streitenberger, Germany
Here is such a link to a pricy Amazon book, but check first the ones for free: https://www.amazon.de/Complete-Xenophon ... Y3W43KPAT1
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Thank you for the information. I am doing searches for certain words in Greek texts to see where they are used synonymously or interchangeably. When I was working with texts in the Perseus database, I did a lot of searches for translations on the Internet before I gained access to the Loeb Digital Classical Library, which provided me with English translations of all the Greek texts in the Perseus database.

Now that I have finished working with the texts in the Perseus and Loeb Library databases, I am turning to Thesaurus Linguae Graecae to work with the texts which are absent in the Perseus and Loeb Library databases.

Since TLG has numerous Greek texts which are available neither in the Perseus database nor in the Loeb Digital Classical Library, I need to know where to search for the English translations of those texts. This is made more complex because of the fact that TLG uses titles in the Latin language only, and Google search for those titles often does not show any corresponding English translations. For example, when I search for “ORIGENES Theol. Homiliae in Job,” I do not see in Google search results the corresponding English titles and translations of the text. It would be helpful if there existed a bibliographical list with the titles of all Greek works and the English translations. In that case, it would be easier to search for translations.
Do you need the entire corpus or a subset? How are you aligning texts?
I need English translations of all texts in the Abridged Corpus of TLG which are not available in the Perseus database, since I have already found all English translations contained in the Perseus database by obtaining the Loeb Digital Classical Library. I do not understand what is meant by text aligning. My goal is to do proximity searches for certain words (in this case, τέλος and συντέλεια) and then see in English translations how the words are used synonymously or interchangeably in the same context.
Peter Streitenberger

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

For example, when I search for “ORIGENES Theol. Homiliae in Job,” I do not see in Google search results the corresponding English titles and translations of the text.
Sometimes you can guess that - one hint: if you want to have a translation of a certain passage of a Greek text - try to google in Google Books for the author and type in a marked expression around the passage you want to have as translation, e.g. yesterday I wanted to read a translation of a unknown writer and he used the word "ocean" in the context (certain names in the passage are always good, e.g. "Persephone" that encircles the area of hits), I typed that in and it brought me to the correct passage in google books. Only sometimes pages are blacked. Peter
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Sometimes you can guess that - one hint: if you want to have a translation of a certain passage of a Greek text - try to google in Google Books for the author and type in a marked expression around the passage you want to have as translation, e.g. yesterday I wanted to read a translation of a unknown writer and he used the word "ocean" in the context (certain names in the passage are always good, e.g. "Persephone" that encircles the area of hits), I typed that in and it brought me to the correct passage in google books. Only sometimes pages are blacked. Peter
Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried to type the name of an author and the Greek expression which I need to find a translation of, but search results take me to books with only the Greek text without the translation. Can you give a specific example of how I can search for the translation of the following expression?

Author and work: THEODORETUS Scr. Eccl. et Theol. Interpretatio in xii prophetas minores

Expression: Συντέλεια ἐπ’ ἀσεβεῖς ἥξει, ἀνθεστηκότας προσώποις αὐτῶν ἐξεναντίας.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Bruce Robertson's Lace has a lot of these texts OCR'd, with fairly high quality.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Bernd Strauss wrote: December 26th, 2017, 12:44 pm I do not understand what is meant by text aligning. My goal is to do proximity searches for certain words (in this case, τέλος and συντέλεια) and then see in English translations how the words are used synonymously or interchangeably in the same context.
Text aligning is basically the process of determining what part of a translation corresponds to a given part of the original and vice versa. Instead of doing proximity searches, there's an algorithm that creates the alignment for you. These algorithms aren't perfect, but they can reduce the work you have to do significantly.

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”