Obtaining Translations of Texts in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Obtaining Translations of Texts in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I had never heard of text aligning (and doubt that I would ever need it) but it's always good to learn something new. As for the translations, it has already been mentioned that there may be a number of texts that have no translation, or there may only be one translation, particularly the case in minor or obscure works. Best there simply to produce your own. I'm curious to know your motivation in this study?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:35 am I had never heard of text aligning (and doubt that I would ever need it)
You probably wouldn't.

But you can see what it is by hovering over Greek or English words here: http://ugarit.ialigner.com/text.php?id=24335
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

MAubrey wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:57 am
Barry Hofstetter wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:35 am I had never heard of text aligning (and doubt that I would ever need it)
You probably wouldn't.

But you can see what it is by hovering over Greek or English words here: http://ugarit.ialigner.com/text.php?id=24335
Andi Wu has done very interesting work with text alignment for translations, aligning Greek or Hebrew with languages for which the only written literature may well be a few folk stories and the biblical text that is being translated. He presented on this at Bible Translation 2017.

Text aligning has useful applications for checking the consistency of a translation, producing a first cut at a lexicon and contextual glosses, reverse interlinears, comparing constructions of two languages, etc.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Bruce Robertson's Lace has a lot of these texts OCR'd, with fairly high quality.
There are a lot of Greek texts on the website, but I cannot see English translations. What I am looking for are English translations of works in TLG which are not found in the Perseus and Loeb Digital Classical Library databases. There are a lot of such texts in the Abridged Corpus of TLG for which it is difficult to find English translations in electronic formats.
I'm curious to know your motivation in this study?
In my research, I need to quote Greek texts and English translations of instances where the words συντέλεια and τέλος are used interchangeably. My goal is to show that the words are also used interchangeably in Matthew 24:3, 7, 14. (Some people teach that the word συντέλεια in vs. 3 refers to a long period of time called the last days, but that the word τέλος in vss. 7, 14 is the end in the usual sense of the word. However, the context of the chapter seems to indicate that both words
refer to the same end.) There were some other persons who discussed this subject but did not do an extensive study due to a lack of time or interest. A proximity search (which corresponds to the usual AND search) in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae yields many results where the two words occur in the same context. Therefore, I need to find English translations of the texts.
Peter Streitenberger

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Hello Bernd, in this case the search could be in vain, as I learned from Wiki, that these are the so far translated works:
Translations of some of Theodoret's writings can be found in Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers.
A bilingual edition of the Eranistes was published by Oxford University Press in 1974.
Ettlinger, GH, 2003. Theodoret: Eranistes, FC, Washington, DC: Catholic University of America Press.
Petruccione, John F and RC Hill, 2007. Theodoret of Cyrus. The Questions on the Octateuch, Greek text and English translation, Washington, DC, Catholic University of America Press
RC Hill has published translations into English of the Commentary on the Psalms (2000, 2001), the Commentary on the Songs of Songs(2001), and the Commentary on the Letters of St Paul (2001)
István Pásztori-Kupán, Theodoret of Cyrus, (Routledge, 2006), includes full translations of On the Trinity, On the Incarnation, and excerpts from A Cure of Greek Maladies and A Compendium of Heretical Mythification.[20]
An English translation of the Ecclesiastical History is available as an e-book from Munseys.com.
Bilingual editions (Greek text with parallel French translation) of several of the texts mentioned above have been published in recent years in Sources Chrétiennes.
A short search in Google books brought nothing, Amazon does not have it as well, so maybe this is one of the cases, I myself have again and again, namely: you have to translate it by your own - there are a l of untranslated text. But maybe I have overlooked something. The way out here for me is: do it on your own......
After the TLG did their text morphologically and with one-click lexicon - not the problem as it was in former times. Klick on the words, on the forms and if the sentence is not too hard, make your own translation.
Yours Peter
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

It is easier to make translations oneself nowadays, since the TLG and Perseus databases link Greek words to lexicons. But because I cannot produce translations which are accurate enough, I will have to skip Greek texts for which it is difficult to find translations in the electronic format.
The Ante-Nicene, Nicene, and Post-Nicene Fathers collections with English translations can be used when working with the texts of early Christian writings available in TLG.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Bernd Strauss wrote: December 28th, 2017, 6:05 am It is easier to make translations oneself nowadays, since the TLG and Perseus databases link Greek words to lexicons. But because I cannot produce translations which are accurate enough, I will have to skip Greek texts for which it is difficult to find translations in the electronic format.
The Ante-Nicene, Nicene, and Post-Nicene Fathers collections with English translations can be used when working with the texts of early Christian writings available in TLG.
Recognizing one's limitations is a good thing! If you feel that some section might be crucial to your study, post it here. I'm sure you'll find people willing to help. Do your best to understand the text before you ask for help, though, because doing so will help improve your Greek and enable the responses to be more intelligible to you.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Somewhere in the process, you may also want to have someone verify any distinctions you make based on translations, which can vary in accuracy.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Thank you. Older translations are often less accurate than the newer. I find it helpful when a translation is not too paraphrastic and is literal enough (as are many translations from the Loeb Classical Library), since it is easier to match it to the Greek text.
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:35 am I had never heard of text aligning (and doubt that I would ever need it) ...
Text alignment has certainly improved over several decades. Recently I have been working in the oracles against the nations (OAN) of Jeremiah LXX/MT. Eons ago Emanuel Tov produced a linear database aligning the MT with the LXX using the technology of the day. I have an old version of it which I habitually keep open in a third window along with LXX & MT. The Bible app aligns the verses, E.Tov's "database" aligns the translation tokens with notations for pluses and minuses, transpositions, etc.

While working on Meanings and Manuscripts for the Step Bible project I became aware of significant advancements in user interface technology. You hover over a word and all sorts of things light up and pop up. It's useful but can also be distracting.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”