Texts of non biblical papyri

Discussion of Greek texts that do not fall into the other categories, including texts in other dialects or texts from other periods.
Forum rules
This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Daniel Semler

Texts of non biblical papyri

Post by Daniel Semler »

Hi ya,

Does anyone know of a collection online of non-biblical Greek papyri from about the New Testament period ? I know CSNTM has biblical materials but I'm interested specifically in examples of non-biblical, non-literary materials, such as Diesmann, and others, studied. Obviously with transcription would be best but at this point I'll take what I can get. If not online, any recommended books which I might then try to get from a library would be good, but of course I want the Greek not translation only.

Thx
D
MAubrey

Re: Texts of non biblical papyri

Post by MAubrey »

Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

You've also got the first 17 issues of the Oxyrhynchus Papyri on archive.org: https://tinyurl.com/y6ds5kmb

Though you will likely find quite a few of those papyri in the volumes on papyri.info.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Thanx Mike, S Walch.

These should keep me busy for a while. :)

Many thanx
D
RickBrannan

Post by RickBrannan »

Hi Daniel.

I have a collection of over 80 transcriptions and draft translations of "early" (dated 5th century AD and before) Christian papyri here: https://rickbrannan.github.io/StuffEarl ... data/html/
Rick Brannan
Information Architect, Greek Databases
Logos Bible Software
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Thanx Rick. They look helpful too.

thx
D
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Also, for you Logos fans and users, Logos has the Duke Databank of Documentary Papyri available for free:

https://www.logos.com/product/9945/duke ... ary-papyri

BTW, you can download the core engine of Logos for free and as much of the free stuff (and there's actually quite a bit) as you have space on your hard drive (or SSD or whatever the latest storage technology happens to be). That's why I started with Logos, not because of the Bible study stuff, but because I could get the Perseus classical collection for free. I eventually upgraded to one of their packages and purchased other stuff relevant to what I do (like the Oxford Latin Dictionary), but you don't have to do so.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am Logos has the Duke Databank of Documentary Papyri available for free:

https://www.logos.com/product/9945/duke ... ary-papyri

BTW, you can download the core engine of Logos for free and as much of the free stuff (and there's actually quite a bit) as you have space on your hard drive (or SSD or whatever the latest storage technology happens to be).
Good to know. I had freebie Logos a while back on my Mac but haven't used it in ages. I might give it a shot for this.Is there any particular advantage to having it in Logos beyond the ability to use it offline ? Is the search capability better or more flexible for example ?

Regarding Trismegistos: it is worth noting here that it is a metadata database. I was initially confused by this before reading the first time users notes. Obviously it's very useful for all the information about dates, ages and locations and so on but the actual texts will be elsewhere, like papyri.info.

Thx
D

Return to “Other Greek Texts”