Question regarding κατ’ ἰδίαν

Grammar questions which are not related to any specific text.
Bob Nyberg

Question regarding κατ’ ἰδίαν

Post by Bob Nyberg »

It appears that when ἴδιος follows κατά in the N.T. (such as κατ’ ἰδίαν) it is usually in the feminine form. I was wondering why that might be.

Bob
David Lim

Re: Question regarding κατ’ ἰδίαν

Post by David Lim »

κατ ιδιαν [χωραν] (idiom) = privately
δαυιδ λιμ
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

David Lim wrote:κατ ιδιαν [χωραν] (idiom) = privately
In other words, it's in the feminine form because that's the idiom ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Bob Nyberg

Post by Bob Nyberg »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
David Lim wrote:κατ ιδιαν [χωραν] (idiom) = privately
In other words, it's in the feminine form because that's the idiom ...
I know that in English there are reasons for certain idioms and others ... well not so much.

A friend of mine has an interesting theory as to why it is feminine. It makes sense to me, but I have no idea if it is correct. He wrote to me:

Possibly because the implied word (ψυχή) is feminine. In other words, the word “self” has been left out of the context and needs to be supplied by the reader. The noun ψυχή is feminine and refers to oneself, so ἰδίαν is also given in the feminine form.

That's better than anything that I could come up with! LOL

Any thots?

Bob
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Some sort of feminine noun is implied by the idiom. Whether it's χώρα, ψυχή, or some other noun, I haven't been able to tell (neither full phrase generates any hits on TLG), but since it's an idiom that doesn't really matter anymore.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Bob Nyberg

Post by Bob Nyberg »

Stephen Carlson wrote:Some sort of feminine noun is implied by the idiom. Whether it's χώρα, ψυχή, or some other noun, I haven't been able to tell (neither full phrase generates any hits on TLG), but since it's an idiom that doesn't really matter anymore.
Thanks.

I find things like this interesting. If there is no reason other than "that's the way this idiom works" then I can certainly live with that. But if there is a reason such as an implied feminine noun that ἰδίαν is referring to, then my curiosity wants to know. :D

Bob Nyberg
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Stephen Carlson wrote:Some sort of feminine noun is implied by the idiom. Whether it's χώρα, ψυχή, or some other noun, I haven't been able to tell (neither full phrase generates any hits on TLG), but since it's an idiom that doesn't really matter anymore.
http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=bhx ... J&pg=PA157 confirms my guess, and might be useful concerning other ellipses too.
δαυιδ λιμ
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

David Lim wrote:
http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=bhx ... J&pg=PA157 confirms my guess, and might be useful concerning other ellipses too.
It's interesting speculation but it does not actually confirm anything because he cites no evidence of the longer phrase.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Stephen Carlson wrote:
David Lim wrote:
It's interesting speculation but it does not actually confirm anything because he cites no evidence of the longer phrase.
Yes it didn't provide proof, but perhaps he was relying on "similar" phrases like "εις την ιδιαν χωραν" to infer the ellipsis?
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Grammar Questions”