Strange article in Ephesians 1:7

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jesse Goulet

Strange article in Ephesians 1:7

Post by Jesse Goulet »

The construction I'm dumbfounded over is underlined in bold:
Ἐν ᾧ ἔχομεν τὴν ἀπολύτρωσιν διὰ τοῦ αἵματος αὐτοῦ, τὴν ἄφεσιν τῶν παραπτωμάτων, κατὰ τὸ πλοῦτος τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ
At first I thought nothing of this construction until I remembered that πλοῦτος is masculine and should have a masculine article, and I'm stuck trying to figure out what the neuter article's purpose and meaning is here.

I was wondering if Paul might have merely switched this article to the other side of κατὰ, where the article would be functioning like a relative pronoun (τὸ κατὰ πλοῦτος = "which is according to the richness...). But the previous clause has two parallel but distinct ideas that the article could be referring to, it doesn't make sense for the article to be referring to only one of the ideas, yet the article is singular. But as seems to often be the case with the neuter gender, could a singular neuter article (functioning as a relative pronoun) have a plural antecedent?

If the article isn't referring to a clause or train of thought, the only neuter antecedent I see is τοῦ αἵματος, but that seems like an odd antecedent giving the context to me.
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: Strange article in Ephesians 1:7

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Jesse Goulet wrote:I was wondering if Paul might have merely switched this article to the other side of κατὰ, where the article would be functioning like a relative pronoun (τὸ κατὰ πλοῦτος = "which is according to the richness...).
That solution doesn't work because πλοῦτος is the nominative form; it would have to be κατὰ πλοῦτον.

I'm wondering if there's a by-form of πλοῦτος which is a 3rd declension neuter (like γενος)?
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

BDAG has this handy note:
Paul, who also uses the masc., in eight passages (2 Cor 8:2; Eph 1:7; 2:7; 3:8, 16; Phil 4:19; Col 1:27; 2:2) has in the nom. and acc. the neuter τὸ πλοῦτος (AcPh 109 [Aa II/2, 42, 5]; Is 29:2 [acc. to SA; s. Thackeray 159]); Tdf., Proleg. 118; W-H., app. 158; B-D-F §51, 2; Mlt-H. 127; Gignac II 100; ‘wealth, riches’.
And the by-form comment is right on. Gignac (volume II, 98-100) states that explicitly. πλοῦτος is a 3rd declension by-form in -ος.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
George F Somsel

Post by George F Somsel »

In addition to the note in BDAG, you should consider the entry in BDF §50
In the second declension: the examples of fluctuation between masculines in p 29 -ος and neuters in -ος have increased somewhat in comparison with classical Greek. Thus τὸ ἔλεος, τὸ ζῆλος (also MGr), τὸ ἦχος, τὸ πλοῦτος (also MGr), τὸ σκότος (neuter after τὸ φάος = φῶς) as opposed to Attic ὁ (Fraenkel, KZ 43 [1911] 195ff.); ὁ θάμβος (formed earlier) for τὸ θ.—Egli, Heterokl. 64–73; Th. St. Trannetatos, Τα εἰς -αρχης, -αρχος συνθετα ἐν τῃ ἀρχαιᾳ Ἑλληνικῃ γλωσσῃ (Πλατων I [1949] 1–18).
Blass, F., Debrunner, A., & Funk, R. W. (1961). A Greek grammar of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (28–29). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

The easy way to say this is that the word is sometimes treated as a masculine, sometimes as a neuter...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jesse Goulet

Post by Jesse Goulet »

I've never heard of a "by-form" before. What is it exactly? How do they work?

And why would Paul use a by-form when he could have just used the masculine article in the accusative with the accusative masculine form of πλοῦτος?
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

A by-form is just an alternative form of a word. I've encountered the term a lot more frequently in the discussion of Hebrew than of Greek. I'm trying to think of an example in (much less inflectional) English; perhaps 'worked' and 'wrought' as alternative past tenses of 'work' would qualify, or 'forums' and 'fora' as plurals of 'forum'.

Why would Paul use a less common form? Probably impossible to answer. Generally, people who speak inflectional languages don't consciously choose which forms they use. It works pretty much on an intuitive level. Why does a Spanish speaker say "dije que me lo hiceras" instead of "dije que me lo hiceses" to communicate what we would say as "I told you to make it for me"? I doubt in many cases the speaker deliberately chooses one form over the other. It's not like Paul is sitting around thinking, "Should I use the masculine or the neuter variant of πλοῦτος?"
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:"dije que me lo hiceras" instead of "dije que me lo hiceses"
FWIW, regarding hiciera versus hicieses, I've heard the (ra) form of the preterite subjunctive used more in my area and that's what comes to my mind first. There does seem to be some difference between the two in that the (ra) form can substitute for the potential where the (se) form would not.

Thanks Timothy for the introduction to the word "by-form"!
Scott Lawson
Jonathan Boyd

Post by Jonathan Boyd »

Scott Lawson wrote: FWIW, regarding hiciera versus hicieses, I've heard the (ra) form of the preterite subjunctive used more in my area and that's what comes to my mind first.
I agree, but I would add that the "hicieses," at least here in Colombia, sounds more elegant or erudite. I think that Spanish also illustrates the changes in gender with some words. For example, a computer here in Colombia is usually a masculine word (computador), whereas in most countries it's feminine (computadora). A Colombian more influenced by websites or people from other countries may use the feminine form because of his or her experience. This may be a conscience decision or simply as Scott says, "what comes to mind first." I would think that the same would be the case for πλοῦτος.
Jonathan Boyd
ABWE missionary - Colombia
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:A by-form is just an alternative form of a word. I've encountered the term a lot more frequently in the discussion of Hebrew than of Greek. I'm trying to think of an example in (much less inflectional) English; perhaps 'worked' and 'wrought' as alternative past tenses of 'work' would qualify, or 'forums' and 'fora' as plurals of 'forum'.
I'm not too sure "worked" / "wrought" are very good English examples because they actually have different semantic ranges, so a speaker/writer might choose one over the other to prevent ambiguity.

Here are some examples in Greek:
"σκοτια" (fem.) / "σκοτος" (neut./masc.)
"σκηνη" (fem.) / "σκηνος" (neut.)
"δωρεα" (fem.) / "φωρον" (neut.)
"νικη" (fem.) / "νικος" (neut.)

And here are some in English:
"octopodes" (original) / "octopuses" (english pluralization) / { "octopi" / "octopii" } (hypercorrection)
"dwelt" / "dwelled"
"learnt" / "learned"
"leapt" / "leaped"
"spilt" / "spilled"
"travelled" / "traveled"
"labelled" / "labeled"
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “What does this text mean?”