Sophocles "Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods"

Louis L Sorenson

Sophocles "Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods"

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Carl Conrad wrote:
One might wish that E. A. Sophocles' Byzantine Lexicon were more readily available or could be revised and updated, but that, I guess, is hardly to be expected. Tasks like the preparation of such reference works are monumental in scope, involving great costs and the labors of extraordinary scholars. Our era doesn't seem to offer a hopeful milieu for such an enterprise.
Sophocles' grammar and lexicon were announced on Logos at a prepub price of $20.

News Update:
http://www.logos.com/product/8513/e-a-s ... collection

Evangelinus A. Sophocles devoted his life to the study of Ancient, Byzantine, and Modern Greek. The four volumes in this collection represent the culmination of decades of research and study on the Greek language. His grammars and lexicons have been all been recognized as major contributions to Greek scholarship. His grammatical works brought the insights of a native speaker of Modern Greek to the study of Ancient Greek. Likewise, Sophocles' Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods fills a needed gap in lexical resources for post-Classical Greek. To this day, it is one of only a handful of lexicons that covers the Koine and Byzantine periods of the Greek language.

There are very few scholars in the history of Greek grammar who have attained the breadth of knowledge across the whole history of the Greek language that Sophocles reached. A Modern Greek speaker, he began his Classical studies early—before his teenage years. By the time Sophocles published A Greek Grammar for the Use of Learners, he had already been studying Greek for nearly twenty-five years. And by the time the first edition of his lexicon was published, Sophocles had fifty years of Greek study under his belt.

With Logos Bible Software, Sophocles' extensive knowledge can be accessed more quickly and more efficiently than ever. His grammars and lexicons will instantly integrate into the Exegetical Guide and Word Study Guide, making it possible to quickly access these exciting tools in a convenient way as you study Greek texts.
Individual Titles

--Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods (from B.C. 146 to A.D. 1100)
--History of the Greek Alphabet and Pronunciation
--A Catalogue of Greek Verbs
--A Greek Grammar for the Use of Learners
George F Somsel

Re: Sophocles "Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Peri

Post by George F Somsel »

If a sufficient number of persons were willing to commit to purchasing this set at $20.00, it could be put into production. It would, however, need to be clearly understood that these are computer files displayed in the Logos program with the result that there would be no print edition to be expected. While it would be necessary to download and install the Logos program, the program itself is without charge. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the only resource in the collection worthy of any real consideration is the Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods, but $20.00 is surely a small price to pay for such a resource. I would imagine that, if a sufficient number of b-greekers were to commit to purchasing it at $20.00 (a fairly small price for such a lexicon), it could be fully subscribed in short order.
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

George F Somsel wrote:If a sufficient number of persons were willing to commit to purchasing this set at $20.00, it could be put into production. It would, however, need to be clearly understood that these are computer files displayed in the Logos program with the result that there would be no print edition to be expected. While it would be necessary to download and install the Logos program, the program itself is without charge. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the only resource in the collection worthy of any real consideration is the Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods, but $20.00 is surely a small price to pay for such a resource. I would imagine that, if a sufficient number of b-greekers were to commit to purchasing it at $20.00 (a fairly small price for such a lexicon), it could be fully subscribed in short order.
It should be added, for those who don't know it, that there is a Macintosh version of the Logos program; it works quite well, and I assume that the Sophocles lexicon will work well with Logos Greek texts, both Biblical and extra-biblical; I have found the Logos LSJ very convenient, as keyed to the immense Perseus collection in Logos format. I might add that my primary Biblical Greek program is Accordance -- but I'm happy to use what works for what's available.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

I managed to find a very reasonably priced recent reprint of Sophocles about eight years ago. It's at the office right now, but I can check the publication details next week.
If this resource becomes available in Logos, I'd be willing to sell my print copy.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Tony Pope

Post by Tony Pope »

In the meantine a pdf file is available for download at http://anemi.lib.uoc.gr/metadata/f/5/3/ ... 001130.tkl
(close on 70 Mbytes).
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Excellent, Tony! Thanks for pointing it out.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Lexicons”