hello everyone...

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Orrin Winton

hello everyone...

Post by Orrin Winton »

Am glad i found this forum. I am doing self-study for NT Greek, having begun only in February 2013. Am in Lesson 27 (out of 44) in the 1965 edition of J.W. Wenham's 'The Elements of New Testament Greek,' a book i had as a kid in 1970 but didn't get very far into at that time.

Today i installed polytonic Greek font from www.logos.com on my Windows7 laptop. I have a post here regarding Greek fonts for Android devices, but the posts on this i've seen here so far haven't been helpful.

Recently acquired 'The UBS Greek New Testament' reader's edition, even tho i'm not quite ready for that, and 'Novum Testamentum Graece et Latine' since my Latin is slightly better than my Greek. Many good tools out there for studying the Word.

Orrin Winton
Susanville, Calif.
Jason Hare

Re: hello everyone...

Post by Jason Hare »

Hello, Orrin, and welcome to B-Greek.

Which post are you talking about not being clear enough? Maybe we can clarify things for you. Are you aware that Windows has its own native polytonic Greek keyboard and that you don't need to use any third-party software from Logos (or any other company) in order to use polytonic Greek?

Just wanted to say "hi" and "welcome" and wish you well in your learning. :)

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Hello neighbor!

Scott Lawson
Red Bluff, CA
Scott Lawson
Orrin Winton

Post by Orrin Winton »

Jason Hare wrote:Hello, Orrin, and welcome to B-Greek.

Which post are you talking about not being clear enough? Maybe we can clarify things for you. Are you aware that Windows has its own native polytonic Greek keyboard and that you don't need to use any third-party software from Logos (or any other company) in order to use polytonic Greek?

Just wanted to say "hi" and "welcome" and wish you well in your learning. :)

Jason

Thank you Jason. ... In the forum Software -> 'Android support for polytonic Greek' -> page 2 -> oh, i see now, posts by you. "Not clear enough" is not the right description, apologies. You were clear enough. It bricked your phone. It sounds too hazardous for me to try. And i'm not willing to root the phone (or my tablet either). But of course i'm listening for any further suggestions.

For now (on Windows 7) i'm using the "Logos Biblical Greek Keyboard" which i installed so that it is one of the choices for foreign-language keyboards on my desktop ("Region and Language"). It is apparently "homophonic" similar to the "Hebrew KU homophonic" which i obtained from another source. I will check out the Windows native polytonic Greek keyboard as well. The Logos keyboard is missing the Greek semicolon · so i copy and paste a raised-dot character which i have stored in a document on my desktop. (What i'm pasting could be a math character for all i know.)

Orrin
Orrin Winton

Post by Orrin Winton »

Scott Lawson wrote:Hello neighbor!

Scott Lawson
Red Bluff, CA

Scott, thank you.

Orrin
orrinwinton

Post by orrinwinton »

I am back on this forum, with a different email, after not being on it much since 2013. The fact that Firefox for Android will display (but not type) polytonic means I can at least read posts and use the word study tool at Perseus http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=

Does anyone know if an HP Windows tablet running Win 8.1 will allow full use of the greek polytonic keyboard?
orrinwinton

Post by orrinwinton »

I bought an HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 tablet, and of course the Windows native polytonic keyboard works fine. ... Am using "The Word 4" with a number of Greek Bibles and lexicons, with great results. "eSword" on the other hand doesn't run well on the tablet, perhaps because the tab has only one gig of RAM-type memory.

Then, on my Android 4.4.4 smartphone, Firefox will *display* polytonic. But on my Android 4.0.4 tablet, Firefox will *not* display polytonic, even with the latest Firefox update. Then I read that the Toshiba Thrive has reached EOL (end of life) and there will be no Android version updates for it after 4.0.4. Maybe that's the reason for failure to display polytonic.

Return to “Introductions”