Rom 2.5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Alan Patterson

Rom 2.5

Post by Alan Patterson »

κατα δε την σκληροτητα σου και αμετανοητον καρδιαν θησαυριζεις σεαυτω οργην εν ημερα οργης και αποκαλυψεως δικαιοκρισιας του θεου

With 3 nouns joined by 1 και, would anyone object to the following understanding of the three Greek nouns here as:

... the wrathfully manifested righteous judgment of God. (this is proposed by Zane Hodges, nothing original with me)
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson
Scott Lawson

Re: Rom 2.5

Post by Scott Lawson »

Alan Patterson wrote:With 3 nouns joined by 1 και, would anyone object to the following understanding of the three Greek nouns here as:
Alan, it seems to me that ὁργῆς καὶ ἁποκαλύψεως stands as one grammatical unit that adjectivally qualifies ἠμέρᾳ.
Scott Lawson
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Scott Lawson wrote:
Alan Patterson wrote:With 3 nouns joined by 1 και, would anyone object to the following understanding of the three Greek nouns here as:
Alan, it seems to me that ὁργῆς καὶ ἁποκαλύψεως stands as one grammatical unit that adjectivally qualifies ἠμέρᾳ.
Yes, and I also take "δικαιοκρισιας του θεου" to modify "αποκαλυψεως". So it is not at all three nouns joined by one "και", but just "you lay up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of [the] righteous judgement of God".
δαυιδ λιμ
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Yes, I too don't quite understand how the syntactic structure of the Greek corresponds to the proposed English translation. It's also not clear to me what the supposed benefit of the proposed translation over the usual understanding of the text.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Alan Patterson

Post by Alan Patterson »

Well, I too was a bit concerned with this understanding by Hodges, but I felt compelled to give it a lot of credence since he taught Greek at Dallas Seminary for 20 or 30 years!!

He does believe that this verse is NOT referring to a final day of judgment, but an ongoing display of God's wrath as Rm 1.18 kicks off with The wrath of God is being revealed against. This may influence his understanding of these nouns.

Thank you for your responses
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη,
Alan Patterson

Return to “New Testament”