Koine Discourse Analysis/Grammar Essentials+

Hefin J. Jones

Koine Discourse Analysis/Grammar Essentials+

Post by Hefin J. Jones »

Hi Folks

Anyone compiled or want to suggest a graded list of essential reading on Koine Discourse Analysis/Discourse Grammar? It would be a real help to a newbie like myself who has read a fair chunk of S. Runge's DGGNT but wants to get a more rounded picture of the field and a little understanding of some of the theoretical differences and the practical out-workings of kinds of DA/DG. I'm especially interested in word order and evaluating claims about 'emphasis' in some Pauline texts. Runge seems helpful but others in the forum have offered alternative perspectives etc... Works mentioned in the forum include a paper by Iver Larsen, books by Levinsohn, Runge, H. Dik, theses by Bailey and Kirk, and other work by Lambrecht, S. Dik and others. Not seen much on Relevance Theory, SFL??? Have noticed some posters seem to have well thought out approaches but not sure where they have either put their thoughts in print or where they may have derived them (e.g. S. Carlson). Any help appreciated!
Hefin Jones

instructor in New Testament - Koinonia Theological Seminary, Davao
Stephen Carlson

Re: Koine Discourse Analysis/Grammar Essentials+

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Despite nearly three or four decades of work on this, I feel like this field is still in its infancy. There isn't really a single dominant theory and the most popular seemed to be tuned to modern, Western European languages (esp. English and French).

Steve Runge is a good intro into the field. I would consider Levinsohn next. He has a website with his approach worked out in detail in several Pauline texts (Galatians, Philppians, 1 Thess), but some are in Spanish.

I would save reading the dissertations and monographs for the advanced level, when one is more familiar with the scene and capable seeing where they fit into the overall picture.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Pragmatics and Discourse”