Translation of Chrysostom's 'Propter fornicationes autem unu

Andrew Chapman

Translation of Chrysostom's 'Propter fornicationes autem unu

Post by Andrew Chapman »

I am trying to translate a line in Chrysostom's 'Propter fornicationes autem unusquisque':

Οὐ γὰρ διὰ τοῦτο ἦλθεν ἡ γυνὴ πρὸς σὲ, καὶ πατέρα καὶ μητέρα ἐγκατέλιπε καὶ τὸν οἶκον ἅπαντα, ἵνα καθυβρίζηται, ἵνα θεραπαινίδιον εὐτελὲς ἐπεισ άγῃς αὐτῇ, ἵνα μυρίους ποιῇς πολέμους, συνέμπορον ἔλαβες, καὶ κοινωνὸν τοῦ βίου, καὶ ἐλευθέραν, καὶ ὁμότιμον.

My attempt:

It was not for this that [your] wife came to you and forsook [her] father and mother and all [her] house, that she might be treated despitefully, that you might take/go off with a 'cheap' slave-girl..[with songs to her?] , that you might [have] countless fights/quarrels.. you took a companion, and a partner of life, and a free woman, and one who is of equal honour.

Have I got the right general sense, at least? I would expect a full stop after πολέμους. Could anyone explain?

Andrew
Andrew Chapman

Re: Translation of Chrysostom's 'Propter fornicationes autem

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Sorry, it should read ἐπεισάγῃς not ἐπεισ άγῃς, which I had taken to be ἐπεισ' άγῃς. That you might bring in .., which makes more sense. It turns out that there is a hyphen in Migne.

Andrew
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I think you have the basic sense. This sermon has been translated into English. Your passage is found on p. 88 of the following book:
On marriage and family life / St. John Chrysostom ; translated by Catharine P. Roth and David Anderson ; introduction by Catharine P. Roth

Johannes Chrysostomos, saint, 344-407 (author)
Roth, Catharine P. (translator)
Anderson, David, 1953- (translator)
ISBN 0-913836-86-9 (hft)
Crestwood, N.Y. : St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2003
English 114 p.
If you're doing real academic work, you should, of course, cite an edition more recent than Migne if one is available. I think there is a more recent edition by Daniela Mazzoni Dami in the Studi e Testi series but I have not consulted it.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Thanks, Stephen, very much. I had intended to check what was in that book, but a review had said it contained sermons on Paul's epistles, so I had thought it was unlikely to have this one. It also has Encomium ad Maximum, which I needed as well. Do you know if there is a translation of Fragments in Proverbs?

I am writing to an academic, but he uses Migne himself, so I am sure it's fine. The TLG's reference is to Migne - I had assumed that they have the best text, and that this would be the standard text for academic purposes. Is that right?

Andrew
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I don't know offhand if those are translated too.

As for TLG, they don't always have the most recent or best critical edition, so it's always to good to check for the latest.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Thanks, Stephen, much appreciated.

Andrew

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”