ἁδρότης - antonym(s)?

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Stephen Hughes

ἁδρότης - antonym(s)?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

This is something that I have been thinking about for a while:

ἁδρότης has the sense of being densely packed together (πυκνότης), which is the usual state of fruit that is at the very point of ripeness (ἐντελὴς or τελεία ὡριμότης), or in a non-specific sense it could be used to mean abundance (ἀφθονία or δαψίλεια) or completeness (τελειότης).

My question is not specifically related to the Apostle's use in 2 Corinthians 8:20
στελλόμενοι τοῦτο, μή τις ἡμᾶς μωμήσηται ἐν τῇ ἁδρότητι ταύτῃ τῇ διακονουμένῃ ὑφ’ ἡμῶν·
but rather about its possible opposite(s):

Imagine a cobb of corn that is fully grown and has nice neat rows of big juicy kernels - that is an example of ἁδρότης, but what of its opposite(s)?

Perhaps, the first opposite could be “unripe” (ἄωρος – if it is picked when it is not ready or ἀτελής – if it is still on the plant growing) this would be the corn on the cobb with the little light-green bumps not yet formed into the full kernels). A second opposite could be "sparcity" (σπανιότης) this would be when there are only a few fully formed kernels on the cobb, perhaps due to drought (or poor care by a farmer) or an unsuitable soil type.

It seems that based on the example of corn the better of my two suggested opposites - as an opposite for ἁδρότης (when it is used in the sense of (δαψίλεια) "abundance" ) - might be "scarcity" (σπανιότης). But how applicable is that as an opposite in 2 Corinthians 8:20? It seems plausible to me that "abundance" (δαψίλεια) is a logical extension of meaning from "density" (πυκνότης), but it could also be true that a half-formed cobb of corn could also not be of use (as an agricultural product).

Does anybody have any ideas / comments or alternative paths to an antonym?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Louis L Sorenson

Re: ἁδρότης - antonym(s)?

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Expand your inquiry and flushing out to σῦκα, βότρυας, σταφυλὰς , καὶ ῥαγάς.

Return to “Word Meanings”