Matt 26:51 μάχαιρα

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Scott Lawson

Matt 26:51 μάχαιρα

Post by Scott Lawson »

Stephen Carlson wrote: The detail in Luke and John that ear was the right one might suggest that he was attacked from behind or from an angle.)
FWIW, I have always assumed that it was a face to face confrontation. When Peter struck at Malchus, perhaps lunging at him, then Malchus likely reacted by side stepping the blow, possibly moving to the left (if Peter was right handed) so that the blow only caught his right ear. Seems to me Peter was going for the jugular.
Scott Lawson
Stephen Carlson

Re: Matt 26:51 τὸν δοῦλον τοῦ ἀρχιερέως, the high priest's s

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Scott Lawson wrote:
Stephen Carlson wrote: The detail in Luke and John that ear was the right one might suggest that he was attacked from behind or from an angle.)
FWIW, I have always assumed that it was a face to face confrontation. When Peter struck at Malchus, perhaps lunging at him, then Malchus likely reacted by side stepping the blow, possibly moving to the left (if Peter was right handed) so that the blow only caught his right ear. Seems to me Peter was going for the jugular.
I've always assumed that the μάχαιρα was a single-edged sword/knife used for slashing, and I'm having a tough time seeing how a lunge could miss and take off an ear. I've envisioned Malchus moving just enough for his skull. but not his ear, to avoid the blade of a downward slash.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

Stephen Carlson wrote: I've envisioned Malchus moving just enough for his skull. but not his ear, to avoid the blade of a downward slash.
Assuming a downward blow it puzzles me that there is no mention of injury to Malchus' shoulder. I suppose clothing could be enough to protect him. The μάχαιρα is also pointy, I assume for the purpose of stabbing.
Scott Lawson
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Scott Lawson wrote:
Stephen Carlson wrote: I've envisioned Malchus moving just enough for his skull. but not his ear, to avoid the blade of a downward slash.
Assuming a downward blow it puzzles me that there is no mention of injury to Malchus' shoulder. I suppose clothing could be enough to protect him. The μάχαιρα is also pointy, I assume for the purpose of stabbing.
It probably depends on the heft of the weapon. I'm thinking the size of a large carving knife. To go for the jugular as you earlier suggested, I would still envision a slashing rather than a stabbing motion.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Scott Lawson wrote:
Or maybe Peter just wanted his ear off. How would we ever know? ;)
δαυιδ λιμ
Jonathan Robie

Re: Matt 26:51 μάχαιρα

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Carlson wrote: It probably depends on the heft of the weapon. I'm thinking the size of a large carving knife. To go for the jugular as you earlier suggested, I would still envision a slashing rather than a stabbing motion.
I'm envisioning something like this:

ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “New Testament”