Sympathetic, or Angered?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Sympathetic, or Angered?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Carlson wrote:
Pat Ferguson wrote:
  • If extant earlier--and possibly earlier--mss indicate that Jesus either expressed no emotion (as in papyrus fragment Egerton 2, ca. 200 CE), or that he was moved with compassion or pity (σπλαγχνισθεὶς in 01, 02, and 03), then on what objective basis did the codex Bezae scribe alter the wording?
Mod note: This question goes outside of the scope of B-Greek, so I invite those wishing to answer to respond by private message.
To be clear: B-Greek won't discuss which manuscript tradition is the best or most faithful one or which translation is the right one.

We can discuss what the differences are among manuscripts.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Pat Ferguson wrote:καὶ σπλαγχνισθεὶς ἐκτείνας τὴν χεῖρα αὐτοῦ ἥψατο καὶ λέγε ..... (Mark 1:41 N-A28)

Most English language Bible versions render σπλαγχνισθεὶς to say something as or akin to "moved with compassion" (e.g., EMTV). But two English versions I've looked at translate σπλαγχνισθεὶς to say "angry" (so in ERV and LEB). I've searched several mss dated to the period 150-475 CE (namely, from Papyrus Egerton 2 to codex 02/A), and the Vulgate, but I have yet to locate a document that indicates Jesus became angry (σκυθρωπός(?)) at the leper.

Q: from which "great Catholic" codex or other manuscript came the notion that Jesus became "angry" at the leper?
The text doesn't actually say that Jesus was "angry at the leper" - the variant reading (of Bezae Cantabrigiensis ?) is
ὀργισθεις "having become angry" (without specifying the source of the anger).
It may be that the translation reflects the similar passage in Mark 3:5, where Jesus heals a man with a withered/paralyzed hand on the Sabbath, after asking those in the synagogue whether or not it is permitted to do good on the Sabbath or to do evil - and they are silent. In that passage, the anger is definitely directed at those who refuse to anwer.
Pat Ferguson

Post by Pat Ferguson »

Mod note: This question goes outside of the scope of B-Greek,.... Acknowledged, and withdrawn.
"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is properly your god." (Martin Luther, Large Catechism 1.1-3)

Return to “New Testament”