SBL 2013 in Baltimore

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Jonathan Robie

SBL 2013 in Baltimore

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Who is planning to attend SBL 2013 in Baltimore?

http://www.sbl-site.org/meetings/annualmeeting.aspx

I will be there.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
jgibson000

Re: SBL 2013 in Baltimore

Post by jgibson000 »

So will I.

Look for an announcement soon of the annual e-listers' gathering at SBL on Nov. 23rd.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey B. Gibson
6037 N. Fairfield Ave
Chicago, Il. 60659

jgibson000@comcast.net
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I'm on the program, presiding not presenting.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I'll be presenting a workshop on Friday afternoon, note the time:
M22-201

Logos Bible Software

Theme: Principles and Strategies for Analyzing NT Greek Discourse: An Introductory Workshop

Steven Runge, Logos Bible Software and Stellenbosch University, Presiding
Jenny Read-Heimerdinger, University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, Presiding
Stephen Carlson, Uppsala University, Presiding

Friday - 1:00 PM-4:30 PM

Room Assignments Available Only to Members. Login here and then click the Program Book link at the top of the page to return.

This interactive workshop introduces graduate students and scholars to the application of discourse studies to NT exegesis. It offers an accessible overview of foundational concepts, and does not require a specialized knowledge of linguistics. The instructors lead sessions describing linguistic devices used for structuring or organizing a discourse. This knowledge is then applied to exegesis of select NT passages. The workshop concludes with a question and answer period. For more specific information about the workshop, please email discoursegrammar@logos.com.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
jgibson000

Post by jgibson000 »

Please come to the 17th annual E-Lister's Meeting at the the Society of Biblical Literature's Annual Meeting in Baltimore.

This meeting will take place on Saturday, Nov. 23rd at 11:30 a.m. opposite the Logos Software booth (# 651 at the end of the 600 row of exhibitors) in ABC Exhibit Hall of the Baltimore Convention Center.

As attendees of previous meetings know, this gathering is a great opportunity to place a face to one hitherto known only as an electronic personality and/or to renew acquaintances made at previous SBLs.

So come along and join us there!

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
---
Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
1500 W. Pratt Blvd
Chicago, Il.
jgibson000@comcast.net
Jeffrey B. Gibson
6037 N. Fairfield Ave
Chicago, Il. 60659

jgibson000@comcast.net
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I am presenting at SBL twice, both in the GERT session.

Friday, Nov 22, 2013, 10:00-10:50 a.m..
biblicalhumanities.org: Facilitating Resources for Open Global Research & Learning for Biblical Studies
This session will provide an outline of what biblicalhumanities.org is doing, demonstrate some initial resources being developed, and explore as-yet-unanswered questions. Among the questions is what we can do to leverage our work to include the rest of the world, and what the rest of the world can contribute.
This session is focused on learning how to include the rest of the world as producers and consumers of biblical resources.

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013, 9:00-9:25 a.m.
Open Content for Biblical Studies
In 1995, the Perseus Project released most of the classical Greek corpus on the Internet, with morphology, grammars, and high quality lexicons, using open formats, and they freely licensed their TEI texts in 2006. Open content has transformed the study of the classics, but there is still no similar open source ecosystem for biblical content. This affects researchers who want to explore biblical materials in new ways not supported by existing software, and affects teachers, pastors, and Bible students who have limited funds. Some resources developed for free distribution cannot be released because of copyright restrictions on underlying texts or morphologies.

The digital resource project at biblicalhumanities.org works to identify important resources, including high quality lexicons, morphologies, grammars, syntax diagrams, and commentaries, with open licenses, in open XML formats, with publicly accessible bug tracking and source code control. We use out-of-copyright texts, and seek to cooperate with seminary and university projects, Bible Societies, translators, and scholars who are producing materials they would like to make freely available.
This session presents the vision for biblicalhumanities.org, and presents some of the resources.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

What are the sessions that really should not be missed for B-Greek participants?

Most of what I am coming for is on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. How much do I miss if I come home Sunday evening? Monday evening?

Return to “Other”