John Chrysostom, Commentary on Rom. 1:3

Mike Baber

John Chrysostom, Commentary on Rom. 1:3

Post by Mike Baber »

He notes,
οὐ γὰρ περὶ ἀνθρώπου ψιλοῦ, φησὶν, ὁ λόγος ἡμῖν. Διά τοι τοῦτο προσέθηκα τὸ, Κατὰ σάρκα, αἰνιττόμενος, ὅτι καὶ κατὰ πνεῦμα γέννησίς ἐστι τοῦ αὐτοῦ
Can someone help me with Διά τοι τοῦτο προσέθηκα τὸ?

1. Is τὸ here connected with Κατὰ σάρκα, and thus means "the [phrase], Κατὰ σάρκα"?
2. What is the translation and parsing of τοι? I see it's very common on words such as τοιοῦτος, but alone --- what does it mean?
cwconrad

Re: John Chrysostom, Commentary on Rom. 1:3

Post by cwconrad »

Mike Baber wrote:He notes,
οὐ γὰρ περὶ ἀνθρώπου ψιλοῦ, φησὶν, ὁ λόγος ἡμῖν. Διά τοι τοῦτο προσέθηκα τὸ, Κατὰ σάρκα, αἰνιττόμενος, ὅτι καὶ κατὰ πνεῦμα γέννησίς ἐστι τοῦ αὐτοῦ
Can someone help me with Διά τοι τοῦτο προσέθηκα τὸ?

1. Is τὸ here connected with Κατὰ σάρκα, and thus means "the [phrase], Κατὰ σάρκα"?
2. What is the translation and parsing of τοι? I see it's very common on words such as τοιοῦτος, but alone --- what does it mean?
Let's take the questions ὕστερον πρότερον (back-asswards):

2. τοι is a particle, originally the dative sg. of the 2nd sg. pronoun τύ which became σύ. This enclitic τοι has a meaning sort of like the colloquial phrases, "you know," "I tell you", "You see", "er ... ", etc., etc., etc. Such words are conversatinal fluff; they don't add anything substantive to the statement; what they do is to add a familiarizing tone to what's being said: "'After all, we're not talking about a naked human being', he says, "That's why -- you see -- I added 'in the flesh', as if posing a riddle, ... "

1. Yes, the τὸ goes with Κατὰ σάρκα and converts the prepositiional phrase into a substantive: "That's why I added "in-the-flesh ... "

Mike, you keep raising questions about little snippets of volumes that seem lifted off the shelf at random; I'm just wondering if you ever finish any of them?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Mike Baber

Re: John Chrysostom, Commentary on Rom. 1:3

Post by Mike Baber »

LOL. No, sir. I do not read these tomes in one sitting, especially because my current knowledge of Greek doesn't allow it. :) I always appreciate your help. Thank you.

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”