αρσενοκοιτης and ανδροκοιτης

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
timothy_p_mcmahon

αρσενοκοιτης and ανδροκοιτης

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Wondering if anyone could shed light on the distinction (if any) between αρσενοκοιτης and ανδροκοιτης.

My first issue is my inability to track down any evidence for ανδροκοιτης. Unless I'm having a particularly bad day, it doesn't appear in LSJ, so I can't even locate a lexical definition or any documented examples.

Assuming the word exists in ancient Greek, does it appear before or after the first documented occurrence of αρσενοκοιτης in (I've been told) the NT?

Any help would be appreciated.
Stephen Hughes

Try widening your search to get a better understanding

Post by Stephen Hughes »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:Any help would be appreciated.
ἀκοίτης, ἀνδροκοιτεῖν, ἀρσενοκοίτης, δουλοκοίτης, μητροκοίτης, παρακοίτης, σύγκοιτος

It is always better to widen your search. It is not often that a substantive result comes from just blinkering yourself on a particular pair of words. In addition to these selection of words that I have listed, you could do a search using appropriate English glosses in the Louw-Nida Lexicon.
timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:the first documented occurrence of ἀρσενοκοίτης
It seems that the first, sixth and seventh words are older words possibly used in an non-pejorative sense.
Last edited by Louis L Sorenson on November 21st, 2013, 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed wo tiden to to widen
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Carlson

Re: αρσενοκοιτης and ανδροκοιτης

Post by Stephen Carlson »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:My first issue is my inability to track down any evidence for ανδροκοιτης. Unless I'm having a particularly bad day, it doesn't appear in LSJ, so I can't even locate a lexical definition or any documented examples.
LSJ has the verbal cognate:
ἀνδρο-κοιτέω, sleep with a man, BGU 1058.30(i B.C.), Aët.1.142.
Lampe has the noun, with the definition sodomite. TLG has only one use of the noun, by John Malalas, Chronographia 18.18, in the fifth or sixth century CE:
καὶ συνεσχέθησαν ἐν αὐτῷ τῷ καιρῷ πολλοὶ ἀνδροκοῖται, καὶ καυλοτομηθέντες ἀπέθανον.
timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:Assuming the word exists in ancient Greek, does it appear before or after the first documented occurrence of αρσενοκοιτης in (I've been told) the NT?
If you can trust the reference to the papyrus in LSJ and its dating, the verbal form ἀνδροκοιτέω would predate the N.T.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Bryant J. Williams III

Post by Bryant J. Williams III »

I would recommend the following: http://www.chrys-caragounis.com/Popular ... erotic.pdf. The 126 pages is well-written and covers a lot of ground.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Inasmuch as this topic makes no reference to any specific GNT text in which these words appear, I don't understand why it wasn't posted under "Word Meanings' in the "Language and Linguistics" forum. Our forum structure seems reasonably well organized, but misplaced topics are like misshelved books in a library that are discovered only by accident.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

cwconrad wrote:Inasmuch as this topic makes no reference to any specific GNT text in which these words appear, I don't understand why it wasn't posted under "Word Meanings' in the "Language and Linguistics" forum. Our forum structure seems reasonably well organized, but misplaced topics are like misshelved books in a library that are discovered only by accident.
OK, I moved it.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

cwconrad wrote:I don't understand why it wasn't posted under "Word Meanings' in the "Language and Linguistics" forum.
Because I forgot about that subforum. Obviously, Carl, that's the ideal category for this inquiry. Thanks, Jonathan, for moving it.

And thanks to all for your contributions.

Return to “Word Meanings”