ἐς φῶς σὸν

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Shirley Rollinson

Re: ἐς φῶς σὸν

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Mike Burke wrote: - - - snip snip - - -

But I still don't understand what the LSJ means here:
without πάλιν, replace, restore, ἐς φῶς σὸν κ. βίον
- - - snip anip - - -

Thank you.
What the LSJ means is that if πάλιν is not used, then the sense of the verb is "replace" or "restore". Then it gives "ἐς φῶς σὸν κ. βίον" as an example of that usage. The "k." between σὸν and βίον is just an abbreviation for καταστῆσαι because this entry in LSJ is dealing with this verb.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Mike Burke wrote: - - - snip snip - - -

P.S. I think I may have missed something you were trying to bring out here.
BTW, the example as given shows you that σὸν describes (goes with) βίον = "thy (your, singular) life"
What were you trying to bring out?
You started this thread by asking "What does ἐς φῶς σὸν mean?" which seemed to indicate that you thought that σὸν was somehow related to φῶς
I was merely trying to help you look at the text a bit more analytically.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I'm locking this topic. I think we are repeating ourselves, time to move on. I'm happy to see Mike getting his hands on some good resources.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Beginners Forum”